Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help a math challenged brain >

Please help a math challenged brain

Please help a math challenged brain

Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Please help a math challenged brain

I have tried to restore an old quilt that a relatives grandmother made, I managed to save the top because it was pieced, the back was shot and the batting was almost nothing. I have to put new fabric on the back , the quilt is an odd size so can someone help me. I want to order 108" wide fabric so how many yards do I need please. the top is 96" by 84"
Old 04-26-2019, 12:29 PM

84 inches is 2 1/3 yards, if you order 3 you will have enough plus the over hang most long arm quiters want.

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I have tried to restore an old quilt that a relatives grandmother made, I managed to save the top because it was pieced, the back was shot and the batting was almost nothing. I have to put new fabric on the back , the quilt is an odd size so can someone help me. I want to order 108" wide fabric so how many yards do I need please. the top is 96" by 84"
Old 04-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

if it were me, I would soak this in hot water and then wash it to shrink the piece.

I would allow two inches per yard for shrinkage in each direction. In my experience, fabrics usually only shrink in one direction, but I don't know whether it will be lengthwise or crosswise ahead of time.

You will also need to allow extra around the edges - how are you planning to have this quilted? Many long-armers want so much extra around each side. If that is what you are planning to do, contact the person to see what he/she prefers.

So - let's assume that you are going to send this to a long armer that wants 8 inches all the way around to be able to fasten it to the frame.

8 inches on all sides may be "a lot" for attaching to a frame -

96 + (2.67 yards x 2 inches for shrinkage) + (2 x 8 inches for attaching to frame)
96 + 6 + 16 = 118 inches

84 + (2.33 yards x 2 inches for shrinkage) + (2 x 8 inches for attaching to frame)
84 + 5 + 16 = 105

so - now I would divide 118 by 36 = 3.28 yards

I would buy at least 3-1/3 yards of 108 inch fabrics in case the ends are cut crooked or are off-grain.

But - I tend to buy "generously" rather than "skimpily"
Old 04-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

If this is a top that has been washed before, I would absolutely wash the backing before putting it on.

Probably the first think you need to decide is how much "overhang" you will need and which way you want the pattern to go - if there is any.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I only pre wash all fabric and our clothes in cold water Using cold water Tide. It cleans everything. I dry everything on regular or somethings on low heat. Nothing shrinks.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I only pre wash all fabric and our clothes in cold water Using cold water Tide. It cleans everything. I dry everything on regular or somethings on low heat. Nothing shrinks.
Have you actually measured the yardage (in both directions) before and after washing?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:28 AM

I agree with Kassaundra. If the fabric is 108" and you it is non-directional, you can use it for the 96" direction so that leaves 8" extra there. To add the same to the 84" makes 102". Divide that by 36 and you can come out with a little less that 3 yards. 3 yards should give you what you need for the back but do you need anything for binding? and since this is an old quilt, I would want to wash that yardage to be sure of shrinkage or possible bleeding before it is finished. Also, if it is considered vintage, I would carry through and quilt it in the method that you are restoring. If it was hand quilted, as most were in the past, I'd do that again.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 AM

I also only wash mine in cold water, but, this top is old and you do not know how it will be cared for in the future, so I would definitely shrink the backing first. Three yards should be plenty, but it never hurts to get a bit extra (better than worrying about it). I would probably buy 3 1/3 yards. Then, even if it does a crazy shrink, you will be ok.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I agree with Kassaundra. If the fabric is 108" and you it is non-directional, you can use it for the 96" direction so that leaves 8" extra there. To add the same to the 84" makes 102". Divide that by 36 and you can come out with a little less that 3 yards. 3 yards should give you what you need for the back but do you need anything for binding? and since this is an old quilt, I would want to wash that yardage to be sure of shrinkage or possible bleeding before it is finished. Also, if it is considered vintage, I would carry through and quilt it in the method that you are restoring. If it was hand quilted, as most were in the past, I'd do that again.
thank you fo your input. I don't need binding, and the fabric is non-directional so I will buy three yards. The original quilt was tied, so I haven't decided whether to tie it again,or quilt it myself .
Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Thank you for sharing your information. You are so informative. I love this board.