Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update..cutting mat odor >

Update..cutting mat odor

Update..cutting mat odor

Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Update..cutting mat odor

I had posted my concern about the smell of my new 24 x36 Omnigrid mat, I have always used a Olfa mat but when I went to Joann's to buy a new mat ( that I really need) they were all out. as I had a 50% coupon and it was the last day, and the Omnigrid mat with the 50% off coupon was only 30.00..so I bought the Omnigrid mat. It was wrapped in clear plastic and when taking the plastic off at home the smell was so bad my husband said it made him sick and to get it out of the house, LOL

I layed it out in our screened in porch for a good week or more..to make a long story short the smell almost went away.. Yaaaa no washing or spraying with anything.

Also when cutting fabric on my old mat that had to be well over 15 years old with a lot of deep cuts on it, I really had to push down hard with my cutter, even if I had a brand new blade in it. It just didn't cut good. With the new mat and same cutter, I don't have to push down hard and it cuts like butter. I guess I didn't know what the differents a new mat makes..

Just wanted to update all of you about my Smelly Mat, that don't smell anymore.. Thanks everyone for all of your advice and concern..

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-01-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the update! My Olfa rotating cutting mat smelled too when I first got it. The smell is pretty much gone now after airing it out for about a week. But if I cover it with something for a few days, it will faintly smell again when I uncover it for use.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Plastics often give fumes, hence new carpet smells etc.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 AM

Big Box stores have a sickening smell to me. Ceilings are very high so smell is dispersed but still not to my liking.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I know if I have to put extra pressure on the rotary cutter to get through two layers of fabric then something isn't right. I change my mat at least every two years. It makes a big difference. The mats get old and dry with use even if they look like new. A blade isn't worth using it skips cuts. A new blade and new mat makes all the difference. I don't understand when some say my mat is years old. Why is it kept that long? It's one of the important tools other then you sewing machine.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I had new tires put on my car 10 days ago. Even now when I get out of the car, I can smell those sickening tires!! it's really gross. I hate going to the tire dealer.

Jan in Va
Old 06-01-2019, 04:54 PM

My mat is probably 20 yrs old. I do soak it in the bathtub occasionally, and then wipe it well with a micro fiber rag to get all threads out. It is self healing.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:43 PM

The same thing happened to me with an Olfa revolving mat. The stench was so strong it made my eyes water to be in the same room with it! None of Olfa's suggestions helped, nor did placing it in my garage in a bag filled with odor-reducing kitty litter for 4 months. It was replaced, and the new one is better, but l still store it out in the garage and only bring it in when I plan to use it right away. Olfa is aware they have a problem with the smell being created during the manufacturing process, but haven't been able to correct it. Too bad, because they have great products.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
Just wanted to update all of you about my Smelly Mat, that don't smell anymore.. Thanks everyone for all of your advice and concern..
This made me think of Phoebe (on Friends) singing her original composition "Smelly Cat." Smelly mat, smelly mat...
Old 06-03-2019, 04:52 AM

When my cutting mat gets grooves in it, I turn it over and use the back. I use my ruler to measure, so no need to see those numbers and lines on the mat anyway.