Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine and tune-ups >

Sewing machine and tune-ups

Sewing machine and tune-ups

Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 AM

Default Sewing machine and tune-ups

I just recently had one of my machines in the shop for a tune up when it froze up and the tension was in such bad shape that I thought I would lose the machine forever. It was also smelling like wire burning no a good sign. I thought for sure the machine was dead. I was blessed when it just needed a good tune up and it cost me very little. You can't imagine my relief. I have not taken any of my machines in for a tune up before. I have a few others that could most likely use a good tune up now that I know just how important this is.
Now the big question, just how often should a machine be tuned up, especially if it is in constant use. I mean making several quilts a year and added sewing in between. I also have a couple embroidery machines that have never been tuned up and they get a great deal of extended use. My antique machines I take care of myself. These machines that are made after the 1980's are the ones that concern me.
Or do you, like me, only take the machine in when it dies.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM

I have a HV Topaz 20 (with embroidery unit) I do a lot of sewing, and I take my machine in once a year for routine cleaning/check up. It hasn't had any problems, but it is an expensive machine, and I want to take care of it. I have not had the embroidery unit serviced. Heard you only need to do that if you have problems.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 AM

It depends on the machine. I take mine in every three yrs but manage to keep it clean myself between times. I think it varies with each individual I have two emb machines and two others. All Janomes they seem to be work horses and I use them all for diff. things.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 AM

You don't say if you clean your machines. I can't get too far into my machine but I take off the needle plate periodically(usually before any large project) and vacuum out any dust I can with a miniature set of vacuum tools. I was also taught at a machine care class to put one drop of oil in the center of the bobbin case even though my manual says it doesn't need oil. My machine is a computerized Baby Lock Espire. By doing this I've only taken my machine in for service once after 4 years of limited use and more recently twice in 4 years. Once was because I was hearing a weird noise.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

It also depends on if you have a reliable service person to take it too. I've had some repairmen cause more damage then they fixed. I always put a tell somewhere on the machine that would have to be removed if proper cleaning was done. A few times at different shops I point it out that it wasn't cleaned and just get a shrug, no use arguing but at least they know I know and if I know my whole guild will know.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

All machines need oil. There are parts that can't be gotten to without special tools and assembly know-how. That is why with the high end machines maintenance by a tech is required. Some mid range machines have silicone embedded gears that do not need oil except in certain spots. All machines need a drop or two of oil in the bobbin section.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I use a mostly mechanical machine - it has a board for the needle up/down and thread cutter. I clean it and oil it regularly. I have a repair person and she just started offering individual instruction on one’s own machine. Teaches how to take the top and bottom off etc and clean and oil. I’m going to do that and she is there if the boards ever go south.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM

I think it also depends on what types of fabric you are sewing on. Some fabrics, like minky or acrylic fur, will really jam up your machine in a hurry. Also some brands of thread produce more lint than others. My wonderful repairman has kept my 40+year-old Viking workhorse going for over 20 years, and never once has he tried to sell me a new machine. To add an unrelated piece of useful information, his #1 recommendation to getting a true and quality stitch is frequently replacing your needle, even if it seems ok.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I have a very reliable Bernina dealer who services mine every 2 years. I maintain my older machines by myself.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

The two straight stitch only machines I use all the time just needs oil and cleaning which I do myself. Never been serviced.