Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
A pincushion or pillow from spare blocks >

A pincushion or pillow from spare blocks

A pincushion or pillow from spare blocks

Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Default A pincushion or pillow from spare blocks

This turned up recently in an email from Embroidery Designs, but you definitely do not need to use embroidery to create this style of pincushion. In fact you could make it much larger as an interesting throw pillow. I was delighted with the simplicity of the construction, and hope some of you will enjoy it also. https://www.embroiderydesigns.com/em...ushions&type=1

If you are not using an embroidery design, prepare two squares the same size - probably no smaller than 5" because you have to be able to turn it without having an open point (unless you want to torture yourself!). If using a gritty filling, apply fusible knit interfacing to the backs, as she says, and read her recommendation for filling. Then scroll to near the end to see how they are assembled.

I happen to have a machine embroidery design from that site that I used to make the little square-in-square block, and the quilting design on the bottom was also from that site, I think. You could use just about anything you like to make one of these. Mine is wonky/floppy because the stuffing I ordered (crushed walnut shell cat litter) hasn't arrived yet.
Attached Thumbnails 20190626_pincushion1.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 03:22 AM

I thought crushed walnut shells were for lizards and such, not for cats. Having a cat in the house, I wouldn't use cat littler for a pincushion.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:16 PM

Those are adorable. They would make quick gifts for other quilters!