Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do I quilt this? >

How Do I quilt this?

How Do I quilt this?

Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 AM

Default How Do I quilt this?

This is a Round Robin quilt. I designed and pieced the center heart "flowers" and small yellow flowers. When quilted, this quilt is to be in a special exhibit in our guild's quilt show next March. Even though I am scared to death to quilt it myself, and know several professional quilters who would make this quilt a stunning piece, I want to try doing it myself. I'm maybe an advanced beginner so I really don't have the confidence to do anything "fancy". I've been kicking around some ideas and I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I would SITD in every seam and around each appliqued and paper pieced heart. The center I would crosshatch. But this is where I need advice. Should I change thread color for some areas or use a 60 wt or smaller thread throughout? In the white border with yellow stones, I have a template with a repeating loop and heart and in the yellow stone I'd stitch a heart (?). Should I quilt in the narrow green borders? What design should I stitch in the white outer border between the appliqued pieces? And the Large yellow stones with the double hearts? TIA for any suggestions, comments, advice.
Attached Thumbnails rr18_cindy.jpeg  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:51 AM

I have no idea how to quilt your Beautiful quilt, but I just want to say you did wonderful work on it
Old 07-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Pretty top and I think just SITD and outlining all the piecing and appliqué would be enough quilting. I might use your heart and loop template in the bigger sections of the wood grain.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I would not stitch in the narrow sashing, and I would definitely change threads between the wood grain and the white. Beautiful quilt, will be even more lovely when you finish quilting it.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:43 AM

Outer Border I'd think about either cross-hatch (if you decide to cross-hatch the middle) or just straight lines out ( but maybe not over the applique) It sounds like you've got some nice ideas yourself and please post when it's done. It's lovely.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 AM

I like to quilt down the center of leaves to give them more texture. You might also want to echo quilt the motif in the center of the quilt and also echo the shape of the bigger hearts. I don't think it's necessary to change thread color but if you want it not to show as much in the wood-grain part, by all means choose something matching.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 AM

I don't know much about quilting, but I would like to comment that I love the way you put on the brown, wood toned border. It looks so much nicer with the partial seam treatment.