Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are there any lucky Bernina Q20 owners out there? >

Are there any lucky Bernina Q20 owners out there?

Are there any lucky Bernina Q20 owners out there?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Default Are there any lucky Bernina Q20 owners out there?

And if so, are you in love? What has your experience been?
Old 07-23-2019, 08:05 AM

I got one maybe 3 years ago and love it. Mine is set into the big Koala table. It stitches beautifully with wonderful tension (even using different colored thread on the top and bottom), and is very easy to maintain. And talk about all the harp space one would need! My issue really is the quilts still need sandwiching and you’re continually moving and adjusting the quilt. And there’s the problem of the bulk when you’re workingin the center of a big quilt.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:15 AM

I am so jealous! I don’t mind actually making the quilt sandwich. But I can only imagine it’s much easier to manipulate the quilt with so much harp space. I’m considering one in the next few years. I feel like it’s a beast financially but really the best of all the worlds as far as space and sit down quilting goes. I’ve never seen one in person.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 AM

I love mine. The stitching is great. Big throat space and I got the koala table with it. I did not have to buy an extra bobbin winder. I am still sandwiching quilt though. I have good support if it breaks down too.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 AM

I just got a new B570 and I love it. Had an old 830 that was purchased in 1972. It did everything--quilting, tailoring, and just plain sewing. It was hard to stop using it. However, the new one is so much easier. Seems like it almost does everything but the dishes.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 AM

I love mine. My favorite features are: the throat plate mounted BSR - makes doing ruler work so easy! And I can use my other Bernina feet, and regular sewing machine needles, and the work area and visibility. Yes, the downside to a sitdown is the basting, but if I want to, I can use the built-in basting stitch and thread baste if I want to.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mvalley View Post
I just got a new B570 and I love it. Had an old 830 that was purchased in 1972. It did everything--quilting, tailoring, and just plain sewing. It was hard to stop using it. However, the new one is so much easier. Seems like it almost does everything but the dishes.
The Tula Bernina 570? That machine looks beyond beautiful.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM

I’m going to a quilt store on Saturday to preview and play with a q20. I’m concerned it’s going to be dangerous and that I’m never going to be able to go on vacation again if I go through with it. 🤦🏼*♀️ This would really be the investment of a lifetime. It’s been a rough year (or rough 3 years) for me and it’s my birthday next week, and I won’t lie, I could use something exciting like this in my life. #truth. I’ll report back if anyone is curious.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:55 PM
mkc

I think a few folks are confusing the Q20, which is a sit-down mid-arm that the OP is asking about, with other models of Berninas. Maybe let's keep this one on the Q20 and move the DSM Bernina talk to it's own topic?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by littledentist View Post
And if so, are you in love? What has your experience been?
I’ve had my Q20 for about 6 months now, I am a beginner quilter, having dabbled a bit, but certainly not a master quilter.

What I love:
  • Easy to thread
  • Pinpoint laser shows exactly where your stitch is
  • Foot pedal - one tap with your heel brings bobbin thread up, hold down with your heel does 4-5 securing stitches; makes starting and ending threads a breeze
  • Stitches are beautiful!
  • I can add my machine to a frame later if I decide to to a stand up long arm
  • 3 types of BSR, really like the setting for ruler work, and the basting stitch is great

Cons
  • that beautiful Koala table storage space is not easily accessible
  • Still have to baste my quilts (true of all mid arms)
I love my Q and highly recommend!