Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A request for a hole in a quilt >

A request for a hole in a quilt

A request for a hole in a quilt

Old 07-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Default A request for a hole in a quilt

I am making a memory T- Shirt quilt for a friend and she wants a hole in the corner. It is in memory of a child who passed away while at college.

In the corner she wants it to reflect the hole that was in his baby blanket. She thought the hole would remind her of the little cute boy and how he loved his baby blanket.
Any ideas how I can make this happen?

She sent a picture of his blanket, which is in too bad of shape to be used in the quilt. He made the hole between the edge and the blanket so his thumb would poke through. The edge was repaired so many times it looks like a nest of thread where his thumb was.
I am open to any and all ideas on how to put a hole in the quilt that looks like it belongs especially since the t shirts are in almost new condition.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Woah, that is a tough one, I am sure someone will pop in with a good idea!!!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:58 PM

How about doing something like the Indians do when they buttonhole stitch around holes. (Usually seen this also done with mirror sequins). Don't know what's it is called, but maybe someone on here can better describe it.

Personally, I would attached freezer paper to the back of the fabric. Then I'd cut a hole or use a paper punch (the ones they use for scrapbooking), then buttonhole stitch around it to keep it from fraying.

So sad about her son. You are wonderful to do this for her. Can you possibly include even a tiny piece of the blanket? Even a teeny piece may bring her some comfort.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:07 PM

I wonder if the baby blanket could be part of the batting?
Old 07-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Or attached to a piece of interfacing to line a single block then use a round buttonhole for the hole in the blanket going through the piece that is strengthened by the interfacing .
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

​You could complete the quilt and then stitch several times in a circle and then cut the hole inside the circle. The stitching would prevent further fraying.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you could cut out the piece of the blanket and include the "hole"?
Though, I am thinking the mother probably does not want to have it cut apart,
wanting to keep it as another memory of her son.

Or perhaps, show us a photo of what you are trying to emulate?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:00 PM

I would remove the batting in the area that you want the hole when sandwiching the quilt. Then quilt the rest of the quilt before making a buttonhole through the top and backing.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 PM

My mother did gorgeous cutwork embroidery. I would either satin stitch a circle or oval by machine and then cut out the center or cut out a circle (oval) and buttonhole stitch the edge by hand. I'm thinking an oval shape would fit a little hand better.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Some good ideas. My initial thought was a 'faced hole.' Depending on how large of a hole, one might be able to work it into a label. Have you read how or made a bound buttonhole? I'm thinking something like that might work. I thought you could make the quilt and perhaps even quilted it, keeping in mind where you were going to put the "hole." Once the quilt is finished, lay the 'facing square or rectangle' right side to the quilt top and stitch the circle or oval through all layers. Cut out the center and turn the 'facing' to the wrong side of the quilt through the hole and the facing will be right side out. You would want to turn under the raw edges of the 'facing' once it has been turned. Perhaps some hand stitching around the edge of the hole to mimic the original.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.