Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donated quilts for cancer-a thank you >

Donated quilts for cancer-a thank you

Donated quilts for cancer-a thank you

Old 08-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Native Texan and others who donate, yes they do get to patients. It may depend upon the institution, but the nursing home my mother was in gave them to patients. When mother passed away, she had several that had been donated, and her pastor's wife made two during the five years that she was there and gave to her. There are some patients who have no one left to care for them or just don't come to see them. The temperature is kept at a normal setting, usually 72 F and with pour circulation those patients who are afflicted that way (and my mother was one) need those blankets. My aunt, Mother;s sister, make her one a few months before she died, but it "disappeared." Her favorite robe was stolen right in front of her in her room and since she couldn't walk, she couldn't do anything about it. When she passed away, there were some things that didn't come back and some finally did, but they had been delivered to wrong rooms. The home did not have a system of getting them to the right place except having their names printed in with a magic marker. When the marker got pretty faded, the workers sometimes couldn't make out the names.
She was in a small town nursing home, but they had patients from within a 50 or 70 mile radius. This was in S. Texas.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:04 AM

I've never made a chemo quilt, but I have made project Linus Quilts for over two years now. Don't need a written thank-you for my time or expense....just a smile on a child face.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 AM

I make quilts for my cancer center to raffle off monthly. My friend is the counselor, so she has the patients put their name in a jar to be drawn monthly. She says they are thrilled to receive them. No one made a quilt for me when I went through radiation and 3 surgeries in a year, just 4 years ago. I guess people thought that since I made my own quilts I wouldn't want one from them. I can wrap myself in my own quilts but it's just not the same as feeling the love of someone who cared about me and my welfare. That's why I make them for others. I also have a stack of quilts here just waiting for anyone who has a need. I don't worry whether they are appreciated, if a person loses everything in a fire, flood, or some other catastrophe, at least they have a quilt made with love in every stitch to wrap themselves in. When you are going through cancer you feel as though you have lost everything.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 AM

My grandson was born a bit early because of preeclampsia for his mom. I remember my son commenting that when he first went to visit him in the NICU, they had a quilt over the isolette and his first thought was "how did Mom know and get a quilt here for him?" It was very comforting to my son. They were pleased to bring that quilt home with them. He did very well and was only in NICU for a few days, more as a precaution than necessity. Since then, I've donated some little quilts to the facility.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 AM

I received a 'hug' quilt years ago after a stroke that took me down for a long time. This quilt wrapped me in the love that I know was put into each block. This gift inspired me to not only make charity quilts for cancer victims but also for pregnancy centers and nursing home. I think those that go to nursing home residents are as appreciated for the workmanship as much as the cancer victims. The baby quilts are appreciated in a different way because of necessity. These young moms sometimes can't afford a good blanket much less a small quilt to wrap their baby in.
Here is a picture of the hug quilt I received almost 30 years ago. This quilt gave me a whole lot of hope on days when I felt so very down and frustrated that I would never beat the odds. I still find myself cuddling in it when I need that extra assurance that I am struggling.
Attached Thumbnails hug-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 AM

Our church requires a prayer quilt be requested. Irish Rose, you have every right to request a prayer quilt. I don’t know why you are being overlooked, but I would be horrified to know someone wanted a prayer quilt and wasn’t given one. Please let someone know that you’d like a quilt. Maybe they think that you’re a quilter, so you don’t need one. Our quilts are dedicated during a Sunday service. There are untied yarn or crochet strings that we go up and tie with a knot. We say a prayer for the person as we tie. A prayer quilt is different from a quilt you make yourself. Please, I hope you request one.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 AM

No, I don't want one. I am content to the maker, not the receiver. I did receive a lamb from the church nurses before my surgery. She sits on my cupboard reminding me of the concern and prayers of our congregation. Also a prescription bottle full of uplifting verses to be used as needed from that group.
RJLinkletter, believe me, I am not sitting with my head in the sand. I am using prayer, supplements, particularly a lot of mushroom based ones, a strange protocol that involves an odd medication, essential oils, foot baths and visceral massages to keep the liver cleaned out, sound healing sessions, yoga, exercise, etc. My body says we can do this without further surgery, 30 rounds of radiation and five years of meds. The one thing I'm having trouble is curtailing my sugar consumption, but I work on it almost every day.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Juliasb, that is a gorgeous quilt you were gifted, and it took an unbelievable amount of time and love to make and give away! Makes my simple donation quilts look pretty feeble, but I will keep on doing what I can.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I now donate my quilts to the Foster kids in our county. Most are taken out of their homes for their saftey. I donate to give them something to call their own. I know they will also keep them warm. I hope they will think someone cared enough to make them a quilt. If not now maybe years later they will.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:34 AM

When I make a donation (whether it's a quilt, canned food, money or my time) I don't expect a thank you from the recipient. If I get one, great! Having been in situations myself that have been overwhelming at the time I was not always thinking "Miss Manners says I must write a thank you note today". I choose to think the gift was appreciated and maybe in the future the recipient will pay it forward if possible.