Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilty places to visit near Gettysburg/Lancaster/Chambersburg, PA? >

Quilty places to visit near Gettysburg/Lancaster/Chambersburg, PA?

Quilty places to visit near Gettysburg/Lancaster/Chambersburg, PA?

Old 08-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Default Quilty places to visit near Gettysburg/Lancaster/Chambersburg, PA?

My husband and I are taking a "turning 65" trip to PA in the middle of September. Flying in to Pittsburgh so we can go to the FallingWater house, but will spend most of the time in the Gettysburg/Lancaster/Chambersburg area.

Any places that I should definitely visit if time allows? I would really like to visit Zinck's in the Lancaster area and hope that it is worth it(hope to take an empty suitcase to bring back some goodies).

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Google will give you lots of places. Hard to list the best due to number available around Lancaster.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Most all of your quilt shops are not actually in Lancaster, they are in Intercoarse, Bird in Hand and Lititz. Best you google it an many will come up. My favorite place to go for fabric once a yr. Enjoy your visit the area has a lot to see and do
Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 AM

If you are in the Lancaster area google the quilt shops , they have lots of them.
Old Country Store, Log Cabin, Zinchs has lots of fabrics at great prices and many more.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:10 AM

Fallingwater is definitely worth a visit, but not at all close to the other places you plan to visit. Fallingwater is in SW PA, the others are a few hours' drive east.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:58 AM

It’s Zook’s in Intercourse. There are 5/6 shops on route 340 heading into bird in hand and intercourse. If you want an experience go to Obie’s in East Earl!!! It is literally floor to ceiling fabric
Old 08-03-2019, 07:51 AM

I live in NE PA and go to Lancaster at least once a year. Well worth the trip but in my opinion, probably too many shops to see in one trip unless you spend several days. Lancaster County actually puts out a "Quilty". Map that will help you plan out your journey. I find each shop is different in terms of what they offer. Be aware some shops are not open Sundays.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsv View Post
It’s Zook’s in Intercourse. There are 5/6 shops on route 340 heading into bird in hand and intercourse. If you want an experience go to Obie’s in East Earl!!! It is literally floor to ceiling fabric
Will check Obie's out. I have definitely heard of Zook's, but there also is a Zinck's Fabric Outlet in Lancaster area.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Fallingwater is definitely worth a visit, but not at all close to the other places you plan to visit. Fallingwater is in SW PA, the others are a few hours' drive east.
Yes, we know. We're flying in to Pittsburgh so as to see Fallingwater. My husband is an architect and this is one of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs that is on his bucket list. I, on the other hand, have always wanted to visit some Civil War Battleground sites(but never have)---thus Gettysburg. There is a Civil War Museum in Lancaster, as well.

Our first stop in the early morning will be to Fallingwater for a tour, and then we "try" to book it to Antietam(Sharpsburg, Md). Then we will spend the rest of the time around Gettysburg, Lancaster, and Chambersburg, and then back to Pittsburgh for the return trip to CO. It will be fast and furious and most likely we will need to make a return visit. Would also like to go to Harper's Ferry and the Flight 93 Memorial, but don't think we'll have a chance this go around. We may find that going to Antietam will be too much(after Fallingwater) and may just head to Gettysburg area.

I was born and raised Mennonite(still am) so I'm very familiar with the enclaves of Mennonite/Amish groups and where they are around the US. Even though I would like to spend some time in the Lancaster visiting quilt shops and the like, it is not the main reason we are traveling to PA. Thus, why we most likely will need to make a return trip sometime.

If I have time for only one place to go, it probably will be Zinck's, and I might not even have time for that, but just in case..............

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-03-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 AM

My husband and I visited the Antietam visitors center a number of years ago. The center was so informative and the presentation was very well done. There was an amazing "reverence" there and we have fond memories of the visit. My recommendation would be to include Antietam and shorten your visit to Gettysburg. Gettysburg seemed to be more commercialized. Enjoy your trip.