Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Words on a quilt >

Words on a quilt

Words on a quilt

Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 AM

Default Words on a quilt

I am getting ready to make a quilt for my daughter for graduation from college. Would love to have a bible verse on a couple for the blocs. What is the best way to achieve this ? Can I print words on fabric ? Sew it , like embroidered? I am stumped and I want it to look good. She has been begging for a t shirt quilt and I am thinking if doing it with bible verses on some of the blocks.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 AM

All sorts of ways to get words on fabric.

I haven't been following it lately about the differences between Inkjets and Laser printers but you can print directly on fabric, then how you treat the fabric is slightly different depending on your printer. You can buy the expensive pretreated fabric sheets, you can iron on freezer paper to the back of whatever fabric you wish to use, you can use transfer paper to make a label.

Of course there is embroidery.

There are also specialty fabrics (the problem might be getting the specific verses you want) and companies like Spoonflower where you can print your own commercial quality fabrics.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 AM

When I do words, I use fusible applique and blanket stitch around the letters.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

For something as "wordy" as a bible verse, my personal choice would be hand embroidery.
Second would be to design what I want in Word first, then print onto printable fabric sheets.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

there are companies that could print things onto your fabric. I'd put stabilizer on the fabrics. printing companies and of course some online too, somewhere.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

I put a bible verse for my nephew's memory quilt and I had it embroidered

But I do wonder how spoonflower would work
Old 08-13-2019, 04:49 PM

I added the words on this baby quilt by just quilting them in with contrasting thread.
I wrote the words out on tissue paper. Then quilted over them. Torn away the paper. Then quilted them again with monofilament/clear thread to be sure they stood out. For something as wordy as a bible verse - this might be the best route. Appliqueing all those individual words/letter would really be a challenge.
Blessings,
Donna Mc
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616037[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616038[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails finished.jpg   close-up-bottom-area.jpg  
Old 08-15-2019, 02:44 AM

I have a quilt with a quote all the way around the border and wrote all of the sections on "Golden Threads" quilting paper (very much like tissue) before quilting. I taped/pinned it to the border and quilted through, then removed it. Love the way it turned out.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 AM

I put the DGS name on his quilt. Used Word Perfect or use can use a bunch of different computer programs. Wrote his name out and played with the sizing so it fit to the size block I wanted. I tried different fonts. Printed it out. Traced in onto the fusible stuff, cut and ironed it on. I zigzagged with invisible thread. Wanted it to make it through lots of washings.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 AM

Since the quilt is to be a gift of significance (college graduation), I'd want the words to be absolutely permanent. For that reason, my choice would be to embroider the words you want to put on this quilt. While ink is to be permanent, it may fade with time and laundering.