Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki DDL 227 >

Juki DDL 227

Juki DDL 227

Old 08-14-2019, 04:32 AM

Default Juki DDL 227

Does anyone have this machine set up as s mid arm machine? Pros / cons on this machine please. I have an opportunity to purchase one for my frame. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I looked this machine up online and it appears to be an industrial machine, with a separate 'head' and motor. This type of industrial set up is mounted in a heavy table, with the large motor hung on the back of the table. You turn the motor on first, from a switch on the table. These usually have a large oil reservoir underneath the table which wicks oil up into the machine. There is a bubble on the top of the machine that shows you the oil level.

I used to work commercially with these type machines and can't see any way it could be set up to work in a long arm frame.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I looked this machine up online and it appears to be an industrial machine, with a separate 'head' and motor. This type of industrial set up is mounted in a heavy table, with the large motor hung on the back of the table. You turn the motor on first, from a switch on the table. These usually have a large oil reservoir underneath the table which wicks oil up into the machine. There is a bubble on the top of the machine that shows you the oil level.

I used to work commercially with these type machines and can't see any way it could be set up to work in a long arm frame.

It was listed as a LA quilting machine. I couldn’t find much info on it: thank you so much for your input!!!!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

This video shows that machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkGlWOdvI4
Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM

you could run a machine like this with a much smaller motor, it just wouldn't go as fast. You can even treadle them if you want a real workout!

They are very heavy machines, and would not be fun to be pushing around on a carriage, but they can work very nicely as a sit down quilting machine.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I would use it as a sit down only.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:59 AM

I"ll add - they are much easier to control if you get a servo motor instead of the older style clutch motor. I'd sewn an quite a few industrial in the past and they all had clutch motors. I'm very impressed with the control I have even at very slow speed with the servo motor.