Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question. >

Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question.

Storm at Sea: To Paper Piece or Not? That is my question.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

i'm doing mine EPP. i don't do many big quilts anymore. I have so many and so little space. so, i decided if i was going to make a big quilt, it had to be EPP. The first 2 quilts i entered into a show, i won 2nd and 3rd best place in the show. the 2nd one was 6 pointed stars in aquas. held together with white diamonds, they were all 60 degree 2" diamonds.
the second which was the 3rd place overall, was 1" hexies,put together in a dog bone shape. i floated them on a white background. I appliqued a puppy on the bottom right side, and it took me 6 hrs to attach emb. floss fur in 6 different shades of browns.

I love EPP. it's very accurate, and if you want to hand quilt, it's perfect for you.

PS. If you're not sure if EPP is for you. call English Paper Piecing or e mail them, and they will send you out a small kit to try your hand at it. it has the papers and fabrics.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

Since I love Paper Piecing that is my go to method. I have done some SAS blocks using templates- they turned out ok but seemed like a lot more work.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:54 AM

Default One of my very first quilts

I never realized it was supposed to be difficult!
Made it for my son and his wife for their wedding. I was complimented on my perfect points... I thought that was the idea... and I'd sewn for years.
My DH cut out templates for me from some wood sheeting that was used for floors - I believe it is mahogany - that he'd been given/scrounged from somewhere. And he drilled hole for the points on the diamonds.
My seams weren't always 1/4" but my points matched pretty well.
I thought it was fun! And I want to make a similar quilt for their 20th anniversary (4 years). DGD spilled pink nail polish on it a few years ago and their cat added her "mark" as well. We appliqued scrappy hearts over everything - one for each year at the time with two larger ones for the kids.
Attached Thumbnails loveonstormyseas.jpg  
Old 10-05-2019, 06:14 AM

I made a storm at sea quilt for my mom after my brother died. There were 6 of us kids, only one boy so I made this quilt with the one blue heart to represent my brother.

But, I didn't have any templates back then and there wasn't accuquilt, etc. I cut and stitched the pieces by hand and it's not perfect. If I could have done it by paper piecing that sure would have been easier. If I ever do one again, I'll do it by PP.
Attached Thumbnails storm-sea-2.jpg   storm-sea-1.jpg  
Old 10-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kynna View Post
Does anyone know a way to do a storm at sea and then to set it on point? I might try it using paper piecing because of all the points, I'm still planning it. I want to just use 2 colors of fabrics. Thank you.
I saw a Storm at Sea that was on point on Facebook. It was in an American flag design.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2861439906310
The creator of the quilt is Amy Pattillo Brown. She made a pattern and it is for sale on pre-cuts.com

http://www.pre-cuts.com/shop/c/p/Sta...fgadvQVr30UvXs
Old 10-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Mkotch your quilt is surely gorgeous
Old 10-05-2019, 12:00 PM

Nana up North, your storm at sea is exquisite and I don't see any mistakes at all. Love the idea of one blue block for your brother. I'm sure this quilt is a family keepsake