Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Can You Do Invisible Machine Applique with Colored Thread?? >
  • How Can You Do Invisible Machine Applique with Colored Thread??

• How Can You Do Invisible Machine Applique with Colored Thread??

Old 08-17-2019, 06:03 PM

Default How Can You Do Invisible Machine Applique with Colored Thread??

In my never ending quest to conquer truly invisible machine applique (turned edge), I came
    upon the Superior Threads information chart for sewing and quilting. It recommended the Monopoly clear polyester thread (which I have used and is great) and also their Kimono silk thread, both specifically recommended for invisible machine applique.

The Kimono thread is not clear, however, but comes in "blending" colors. If you use a blind hem stitch and your background fabric is light in color and your applique fabric is dark, how would you have anything remotely invisible? You have 3-4 stitches on your background fabric with a stitch onto your applique- two fabrics with one color of thread?

What thread do you use when you really want the stitches to be invisible? Thanks for your help!
    Old 08-18-2019, 03:53 AM
    Power Poster

Use the thread that blends best with the appliqué. The stitches along the edge just looks slightly like a shadow and disappears in the appliqué. It shouldn’t really show on the background fabric.
    Old 08-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Pick a stitch that allows you sew right inside the applique edge. No thread showing on background fabric.
    Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

In addition to Kimono silk you can also use their 100 wt poly microquilter or Wonderfil's product Invisifil. Not near as expensive as the silk. These threads really do sink right down in and as long as you are right in the ditch of your applique it will not be noticible. I use these products for ditching and hand applique. While hand applique is much easier to make the stitches truly invisible these products will come super close to invisible with machine turned edge applique.
    Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 AM

I like the silk thread look. When I do hand applique (which I seem to be returning to) I use the silk which matches my appliques just like I do when I do machine applique. I have done some experimenting with the 100 wt. Invisifil. I personally think it is hard to work with with because it is so fine and hard for me to see.
    Old 08-18-2019, 05:24 PM

that Kimono thread is very thin! It will sink into the background without worries.
    Old 08-19-2019, 04:57 AM

I agree with ckcowl. Chose colours that blend with the applique. Practice on a scrap with same thickness as quilt sandwich to set stitch length and " swing" of needle left. You want the swing shallow, so it just catches. The length is best set longer than used for piecing ( try 3 ). Sew slowly, using clear open toe foot, gently pulling applique away from background so you are truly in the ditch. You will be amazed!!