Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Amperage for motor for Kenmore 1120 >

Amperage for motor for Kenmore 1120

Amperage for motor for Kenmore 1120

Old 08-26-2019, 12:46 AM

Default Amperage for motor for Kenmore 1120

Hi again!

I happened to be given a Kenmore 1120 with a bad motor by a lady I was buying a vintage Japanese machine from. She gave it to me when she found out that I am teaching myself sewing machine repair.

The machine has a 1.2 amp motor but I can't seem to locate a replacement motor for it. I have tried internet searches for "1.2 amp universal sewing machine motor" but I can't find anything. Can I use a motor with higher or lower amperage?

I have read that the old Kenmore machines are a beast! This machine is really heavy so I think that it is all metal.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 AM

You could likely substitute a lower amperage motor, with a slight loss in power. I don’t think you would notice much difference. I wouldn’t recommend going up in amps, as the wiring and controller isn’t designed for it. I have one of these, and it is a good machine for my needs.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:01 AM

Kenmore machines began being made, or outsourced, early on by companies like Singer. My own Kenmore is actually a Janome. If you did a bit deeper to find out what company actually manufactured your machine you may be able to find an exact motor match. Every few years Kenmore changed manufacturer. The Kenmore may have one or two less decorative cams or stitches than the brand name but the differences were minor the cost saving for a new machine were major. Parts should be available from the original manufacturer.

Last edited by juliasb; 08-26-2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Kenmore machines began being made, or outsourced, early on by companies like Singer.
Maybe companies like Singer, or modeled after Singer machines, but not manufactured by Singer.
http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html tells of the different manufacturers Sears/Kenmore used.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ETA there is good information regarding Sears/Kenmore sewing machines at Sears Sewing Machine Manufacturer list addition

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-26-2019 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 AM

You can use a motor with lower amperage if the RPM is the same.