Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt pattern design service with EQ >

Quilt pattern design service with EQ

Quilt pattern design service with EQ

Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 AM

It's probably paper piecing to the rescue then if you don't want to applique. Doesn't help particularly in drafting it in EQ although I believe there is an option for printing for paper piecing, I'd probably just blow up the picture until you get a 1/8 wedge the size you want. I spend quite a bit of my quilting time doing stuff on the copiers at my local office supply store!

Edit: One of my upcoming projects is going to be a lone star sampler with 9 large but not huge stars using blue and white snowflake fabrics and I will make the stars look like snowflakes (except of course lone star is octagonal and snowflakes are hexes...). Anyway, I've been playing with how to make the blocks in my head for the last year or two on how to move the background fabric in and out to make the design less radiating and more snowflake-like, if that makes any sense!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-27-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Another drawing - it could be assembled in wedges - lots of seams, though.
Attached Thumbnails star.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
It's probably paper piecing to the rescue then if you don't want to applique. Doesn't help particularly in drafting it in EQ although I believe there is an option for printing for paper piecing, I'd probably just blow up the picture until you get a 1/8 wedge the size you want. I spend quite a bit of my quilting time doing stuff on the copiers at my local office supply store!

Edit: One of my upcoming projects is going to be a lone star sampler with 9 large but not huge stars using blue and white snowflake fabrics and I will make the stars look like snowflakes (except of course lone star is octagonal and snowflakes are hexes...). Anyway, I've been playing with how to make the blocks in my head for the last year or two on how to move the background fabric in and out to make the design less radiating and more snowflake-like, if that makes any sense!
Even after reading your edit note about playing with this in your head for some time, my jaw is still dropped open to see how quickly you have come with a complete deconstructed drawing. Some brains are waaaaaay ahead mine :-)

I would not mind paper piecing at all - but I was thinking on doing the model in EQ because you can print your PP templates...

I think I could do some minor modifications to make it easier to assemble/create. The idea is to have it look like the picture as close as possible.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Another drawing - which I think would look better - especially with larger pieces.
Attached Thumbnails star2.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Bearisgray, that's very clever. Thank you so much!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Gay

My attempt is a quarter star of 6", similar to Bearisgrays'. You can do this in EQ and print whatever size you need. eg- 18" for a 36" star, or smaller/larger.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616741[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails star.jpg  
Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
My attempt is a quarter star of 6", similar to Bearisgrays'. You can do this in EQ and print whatever size you need. eg- 18" for a 36" star, or smaller/larger.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616741[/ATTACH]
This version would be easier to piece - no Y seam around the center square.

This version has the seams by the pink diamonds pointing to the outside edge of the unit.

It is actually starting to look "possible" - when I first saw the graphic - I thought "no way" that would be easy to do.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:45 AM

Gay and Bearisgray, I don't know how to thank you ladies. Here's the model I made in EQ7. It took me only one hour to create. It's far from being perfect (it's not symmetric!) but it would be an easy fix if I print the templates from one side of the wedge and replicate them for the other side.
I bow very low to your wonderful brain. I would Never have been able to figure this by myself.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616747[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails starerin.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Hi everyone,
Do you know any quilter who would offert a quilt pattern design service (for a fee, of course)? I have EQ7 and I use it very often to create simple quilt's pattern. I've been asked to create something a bit more complex but can't figure how to do it in EQ7. I did a Google search and couldn't find any shop/designer offering quilt pattern design service.
Thanks!
Eventually - you did figure out how to do it yourself - with a little help from your friends!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:24 AM

I felt the same way about never figuring EQ7 out when I first got it. In order to create or replicate a block you have to be able to see the segments of the block. Understanding that concept and being able to see the blocks in a quilt I want to make is learned much more quickly than you would think. When I can't figure it out, I bring up the picture of the quilt into Paint and mark off the blocks. Usually with a grid. Lots of times I am surprised at what the actual block is. The secondary patterns created by the blocks being sewn together creates confusion in finding the actual block(s) and is simplified with using the Paint method. I'm glad others stepped up with this pattern. I didn't even think about drawing it in quarters. That simplified the block tremendously. I would still think about paper piecing it. Matching all those points could get interesting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2019 at 08:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps