Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with cork/Pattern for Purse? >

Quilting with cork/Pattern for Purse?

Quilting with cork/Pattern for Purse?

Old 09-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Quilting with cork/Pattern for Purse?

I purchased some cork fabric and I'd like a cool quilted purse pattern for it. I saw one that had the front flaps that over lapped each other but have been unable to find it since.

Anyone know of a neat purse/tote pattern that would look good going upscale in cork?

And, has anyone sewn with cork? Is it straightforward or are their tricks?

Watson
Old 09-13-2019, 04:03 PM

i took a class. we did a coin purse. i think it was a bernina pattern. the pieces slip over each other so a teflon foot might help. loosen the pressure foot tenson. clip pieces together. spray basting might be good. i do like the product and plan to make for christmas presents
Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Hey Watson, my friend in Arizona is doing lots of stuff with cork, she loves it. I'll see if I can get her to join so she can add to the discussion or maybe she'll just send me pictures.

She's been doing bags for a number of years so was already talented with the construction techniques.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 PM

I have made purses using cork fabric I just love it. The texture is very cool, most of the time I use my Swoon patterns and you can find some that are free. I also follow Sew Sweetness on YouTube she too has some free patterns plus she does really good tutorials. The prices of Sara's cork fabric is very reasonable especially for an accent to get your feet wet. There are many tutorials and patterns on YouTube. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 PM

I’ll be watching this with interest as I have a fantastic piece of cork with sliver metallic pieces running through it that I have saving for ‘the right pattern’
Old 09-14-2019, 03:44 AM

I bought some cork fabric at the Grand Rapids AQS show. Made a purse for my daughter and one for me. The cork fabric is gorgeous!! It's has kind of a rubbery texture and is thick. Way thicker than quilting fabric. I had to make my corners round because it's so thick that I couldn't get the corners to open out as a square. Just play with it for awhile, you will figure it out. It was expensive but I love it!!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:32 AM

Google Blue Calla Designs....they have some great patterns and some videos for using cork...
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 AM

I made a makeup brush bag using cork on the exterior side plus the strap and vinyl for the interior side and pockets. Added a double layer of clear plastic to cover the brush part. Added an embroidery design to the front before assembling it. Didn't care for the velcro so changed it out for snaps in the navy blue color. Works much better. Of course I couldn't get the glued on velcro off completely but doesn't show when closed and it was my trial sample to try out cork fabric.
Attached Thumbnails full-exterior-carrier.jpg   interior-carrier.jpg   makeup-brush-carrier.jpg  
Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 AM

I’ve never used the cork fabric, but SewSweetness (Sara) uses cork on a lot of her bag/tote patterns. She might have some tips on her website.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:27 PM

making a bag using cork has been on my to do list for a long time.
I've collected so many bag patterns, that I can't decide which to use.
Then I found a quilting cotton that looks just like cork. I'm going to use that as a lining on the inside.

I also found Tyvek. I'm going to practice with that first. Then move on to cork.

Here are a few fun bag patterns:

Tons of patterns here:
https://studiokatdesigns.com/

Messenger bag: https://sew4home.com/projects/storag...-pocket-lining

https://sew4home.com/search/site/bags

Scroll down: https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/p/bag-it.html

this bento bag is popular: http://www.rebeccamaedesigns.com/hom...-bag-tutorial/

This duffle is an awesome bag from PaperPrincess right here on QB: Gift Duffle Bags

and this is from Toogie here on QB: Pieced and Quilted Handbags

This pattern is unusual - (not sure how it would work with cork though): https://www.hawthornesupplyco.com/am.../DD8001143F0C/

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I really hope you post and tell us all about your adventures with cork!