Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt? >

Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
No. I would not risk it. The reason being is that it is strong. As with nylon thread, it does not like to break. If a thread comes loose, it will unravel but stay intact. So it can become a little noose for toes or fingers and if caught in it, it can cut off circulation. I would use it on many other projects, just not anything involving a child.

I second the question bkay asked: What's the difference between MonoPoly and something like Bottom Line, which is also poly and also will not break? So, it's okay to quilt with colored poly threads but not clear poly? That makes no sense at all.

Does anyone know first hand of such an incident ever happening? TBH I'm starting to think it's urban legend, much like the old razor-in-an-apple at Halloween story.

Last edited by Peckish; 09-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I second the question bkay asked: What's the difference between MonoPoly and something like Bottom Line, which is also poly and also will not break? So, it's okay to quilt with colored poly threads but not clear poly? That makes no sense at all.

Does anyone know first hand of such an incident ever happening? TBH I'm starting to think it's urban legend, much like the old razor-in-an-apple at Halloween story.
I can't answer all your question but- many years ago my DD had a thread from her sleeper wrap around the end of her toe, cutting off circulation. Did not cause loss of toe, but did cause it to swell and discolor. I found it when I changed her diaper in the morning. Now the thing is, this was child #4, three other kids had worn this sleeper without incident. She had been wearing it for quite a while , too. just a regular thread, down in the toe. I trimmed off the thread and continued to use it. So, can it happen? yes. Does is make a difference what the thread is made from ? Not in my opinion. I have used monofilament-Superior, I think- in several well used quilts. Have not noticed any difference in appearance of loose threads. I personally would not hesitate to use it in any quilt.