Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
minky for backing >

minky for backing

minky for backing

Old 10-18-2019, 06:27 AM

Default minky for backing

How easy or hard is it to use Minky on the back of a size 60 x 80 quilt? I hate the mess it makes when you cut it but it also wants to stretch. Also do you use batting in between? Top is cotton and I will be quilting on a sit down long arm. I only know how to meander and I don't think that will work with Minky. I guess I would have to make a grid? How would you quilt? Top is a panel with borders.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:35 AM

I’m looking forward to some expert input here. Thanks for asking the question. I still consider myself a beginner at quilting. I tried minky as backing once and tried point to point quilting. It looked awful. But that was probably more me than the fabric.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:53 AM

I’m all ears on this one too... “Grandma-to-be” (that would be me) got a little over-excited at the prospect of the very first grandchild and promptly bought 4 kits for crib quilts w/minkie! Fast forward to Baby Blake’s upcoming 2nd birthday on December 28... oops - they are still in the box hoping for some courage and tips from others who have successfully gone before us! It’s really embarrassing not to have these done yet! Maybe i could put two kits together for his extra-long twin bed when he goes to college! 🥴
Old 10-18-2019, 10:47 AM

I haven't used minky on the back of a quilt (mostly because it has so much nap that I worry about how that translates. However I have used fireside fleece on the back of two of my three quilts I've made (I am no expert by any means) and I'm using it again on the back of the two quilts I'm making for my brother's granddaughters. They call Fireside Fleece "adult minky" and it is so cozy and warm. I also use a batting because I want the warmth and puffiness. Some people leave out the batting and if you live somewhere warm that might be good. It does make the quilt a bit heavy, but I'm OK with that too. It has a slight nap so you have to watch how you piece the two pieces together when you're doing a queen size, but I seamed two widths with a 1" seam allowance so the seams would lay down well on the black one and I'm really happy with how it turned out. It makes your bobbin thread very forgiving because it sinks in.

I've attached some pics of the backs of the two quilts I've finished with fireside so far.
Attached Thumbnails img_20190908_111410680-1.jpg   img_20190701_111714011_1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 AM

I love minky as a backing.

I don't long arm.. I quilt on my Janome 6600. I have quilted meanders, loopies, hearts (using templates) and straight line cross hatches.

I use batting and I glue baste.

I have never had any problems with using the minky

Tish05 - your quilting gorgeous. I have never heard of fireside fleece.. I will be checking into that one
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM

I am currently using minky for a backing for the first time. I have used fleece for many backings before though. I like to piece so my quilts generally have lots of seams, and if I use minky again I will add batting, it is thinner and my thick seams are obvious to the touch (but not so much to the sight). I don't know how useful my experience is to you b/c I quilt all mine qayg, but keep my backing solid and stitch and flip joined rows, so all straight line quilting so far it is going very well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618702[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618704[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618705[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618706[/ATTACH]
This is what the quilting looks like on the minky side, the stitching isn't as obvious as this I tried to get the light to reflect and stand out the stitching.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0252.jpg   dsc_0253.jpg   dsc_0254.jpg   dsc_0257.jpg  
Old 10-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Minky is my favorite backing, especially for babies, kids, well almost everyone. I use Quilters Dream select batting. I quilt on my domestic sewing machine. Often do a meander design. My grandkids think it looks like puzzle pieces and seem to get a kick out of that. I do pin-basting only, lots of pins. I use a Supreme Slider on the bed of the sewing machine and Machingers gloves for all quilting, so haven't had a problem with quilting (as far as moving the quilt).
Old 10-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I have used Minky on many, many quilts over the years- even queen sized ones. It is a favorite backing. I pretty much always meander quilt it- turns out wonderful. I always use batting, I like the extra loft plus it keeps the seams from the pieced tops from being felt on the back. The key is to Smooth it- not stretch it as you go.

heres a Minky back on a baby quilt -meandered
Attached Thumbnails ef3975ad-a888-4a70-86be-e5e1cfeb2582.jpg  
Old 10-18-2019, 03:32 PM

Tish, can you tell us where you buy Fireside Fleece? It's new to me too, and sounds like fun to try.

I was able to find only 1 online store that has it...in a limited number of colors.

All of these quilts posted here sure are pretty!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:14 PM

I have used minky twice. The girls at my favorite quilt shop told me to put it in the dryer on low heat for about 15 minutes to get rid of the mess it makes when cutting. I also have a sit down long arm and did not have any problem quilting it. And I did not have a mess all over my quilting room. This worked for me.