Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Class Attendance >

Quilt Class Attendance

Quilt Class Attendance

Old 10-25-2019, 03:55 AM

My LQS brought a local lady in to teach FMQ. I assumed I was bringing my machine & basic supplies. Previous day morning here comes an email from the teacher with a long list of “other” things, claiming she forgot to send it out. Sketch pad (which I had) was listed. Well, the pad & some stuff that was listed was never even brought up in the class. At least I didn’t run out and buy it for that day. I know people who are just downright allergic to cat hair and the example quilts she brought were covered with it.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 AM

Yes, I have. Some classes are so chocked full of information that there is little time for sewing. I try to make certain there will actually be sew time and not just demo time if I take my machine.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Nope, I have been a student/teacher...I love participating along with the others...You learn from others and they may learn a different way of doing things from you...short cuts...All the teachers limit the amt of bodies in class so everyone gets attention when needed and I just feel someone taking up space and not participating when another might have been bumped due to class being full isn't fair. I've never went to a class w/anyone just taking notes...But I guess it should be up to the teacher but I don't think it should be stressful, relax and enjoy and try...You can always go home and do over. At this point in our lives, quilting and learning should be fun not stressful...
Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I know people who are just downright allergic to cat hair and the example quilts she brought were covered with it.

In my mind, if you are a paying student, you get to learn anyway you want.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-25-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-26-2019, 03:27 AM

I have been both teacher and student. As a teacher I go to a great deal of trouble to write a complete list of supplies and find only half the people taking the class have actually read the list. It's frustrating to all when they don't have the necessary items to complete the class and ask to borrow or use someone else's items. I understand the need to be flexible with time, as some students learn more quickly than others. And am always happy to work more one on one to help them complete the project. I have had people attend my classes without bringing equipment required and have no issues if they learn best this way. But also have noted those that do so, seem to expect more information or clarification than if they actually completed the class as listed. This takes time away from other students.

As a student, I bring the requested items and arrive early to be set up and ready to begin at the appointed time. It's annoying to both instructor and other students when you come in late or right at the class time and have to get everything out and ready. Since I learn best by hands on method, this is how I prepare to take the class. I prefer to listen to the instructor and if I have a question ask the instructor not my neighbor. I have been know to change seats when my table partner kept asking me for assistance making me miss important instructions. If I could learn by just watching, I see no problem doing it that way if I have paid for the class.

Just me two cents for what it's worth:-)
Old 10-26-2019, 06:27 AM

This thread is connected to another in my mind: Goals, to have them? Most responders thought doing what you want, when you want, is the pleasure of quilting and that it should bring you joy. I taught all levels of sewing classes at a community college, so know lots. However, when I take a class I am often the worst student in that class -- don't understand, can't follow, too slow, etc. Still, when I get home I can make award winning quilts, sometimes using what I learned in a class, sometimes not.

I've come to the conclusion that what I produce in class isn't important. It's what I do with the information that is important. As a teacher, what I cared about was allowing the students to learn -- in a way that made sense to them. What I care about for myself is learning, improving, and enjoying the process.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:13 PM

I think it depends on how long the class is - is it an hour or an entire day? I like to do some of the project during the class if possible.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:52 AM

SuzzyQ: I also took a OBW class back in March. We made the hexagons but the instructor (a LQS owner) also explained about the octoagons and told us about and even gave us a pattern on how to add the corners to them. Some of us asked about just appliquing the finished octagons onto a square of fabric and then join the squares together. She thought that would work just fine and so do I. You might be able to salvage your fabric and add some "light" to it by that method as well.
Just thought I would share.
Murphy
Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 AM

The easiest thing to do with the octagon blocks is just to add triangles to four opposing corners, that will make a square for a straight layout. If all the triangles are the same color, they will form a little square of color. If you use two different colors, you get hourglass shapes.

This is one of my less-successful tops for a number of reasons and it never got finished. But I used thrift store fabrics and learned a new technique. I didn't have as much of the OBW fabric as I would have liked and so had to extend what fabric I had...
Attached Thumbnails whack-top-too.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-27-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: forgot the picture!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM

The main benefit I get from a class is feedback from the teacher or professor now that I am in uni. So just observing would not work for me.

I do not stress about keeping up, being the leader of the pack etc in the class. I am happy to work at my own pace.

I am someone who will ask a question if I am not sure. I know sometimes people post here how they do not like people asking about something that was already explained, but the way I learn is through question and response. Even if I heard it the first time, I will not have retained the information until I rephrase the information as a question.

Everyone learns differently and if observing the class and doing the work at home works for you, then that is great.

NJ Quilter, I woudl have followed up with the owner of the shop. Often a shop has to order in supplies specific to a class. If a person takes up a seat, but is not purchasing the supplies, the shop could lose out. You could have clarified that with the owner. An employee would be overstepping if they told you it was OK without checking with their boss.