Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fess Up! What Ruler Did You Buy? >

Fess Up! What Ruler Did You Buy?

Fess Up! What Ruler Did You Buy?

Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 AM

After one use, I gave the L'il Twister away. Too much waste. I thought I'd never use the Deb Tucker Wing Clipper again after a class several years ago, but I finally used it last week for the first time. It was actually helpful!
Old 11-19-2019, 03:54 AM

I sure don't need another special ruler, but after seeing that I just may have to try it.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:57 AM

My friend and I call it our Acrylic Draw where rulers go and are lost forever...I have so many still wrapped who knows what's in there...Just another addiction to our saying "Someday I'll need this for something"
Old 11-19-2019, 04:22 AM

Sounds like I'm in pretty good company ladies!! I'm a ruler/template junkie and have more than I should have. It's almost as bad as shoes ... can't have just one pair now can we???
Old 11-19-2019, 06:01 AM

I only have one that I have not used at all "yet". It is the folded corner clipper. I am trying to replace the majority of my rulers with Quilter Select right now. Hoping Santa will get me a couple more. I even made a couple of my own rulers. I went to the local hardware store and had him cut me the plexiglass in the angles I needed and then I smooth out any burs being careful to keep the straight lines and then with an exacto knife I scored markes for the different 1/4" marks that I needed and took a thin Smartie marker and highlighted those scored marks. I use one of these more frequently than you can imagine. The cost to make my favorite ruler was under $1. My the one I have never used cost me $8. and for a 24"x6" Quilter Select it was $37. I wish I was talented enough to make more of my rulers as it sure would be cost effective. Here is a pic of one of the ones I made for myself.
Attached Thumbnails img_0828.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 AM

birangle. bought in the 90's. never used, sold with most of my rulers a few years ago when my eye problems kicked in. Thinking about it, I think the tri-recs I love probably does the same thing anyway.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:09 AM

I only have one that I have not used at all "yet". It is the folded corner clipper. I am trying to replace the majority of my rulers with Quilter Select right now. Hoping Santa will get me a couple more. I even made a couple of my own rulers. I went to the local hardware store and had him cut me the plexiglass in the angles I needed and then I smooth out any burs being careful to keep the straight lines and then with an exacto knife I scored markes for the different 1/4" marks that I needed and took a thin Smartie marker and highlighted those scored marks. I use one of these more frequently than you can imagine. The cost to make my favorite ruler was under $1. My the one I have never used cost me $8. and for a 24"x6" Quilter Select it was $37. I wish I was talented enough to make more of my rulers as it sure would be cost effective. Here is a pic of one of the ones I made for myself.
Attached Thumbnails img_0828.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM

I have the wing clipper too (In my defense … the Quilt Store said I ordered it but I don't remember that but to keep good relations I paid for it) … X-Block - and a Quilt in the day slotted ruler that I bought at quilt festival or Road to California … need to look up the video's … they looked so easy and helpful I couldn't resist! Love the twister … I have made several wall hangings with that one.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Pineapple Block tool
Old 11-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Thanks for the info! I really should try making my own too!