Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Corners? >

Sew Corners?

Sew Corners?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Sew Corners?

Hello everyone,

Look like I back already! lol.
What I though would be first and last might not be.

A friend of my family is having a baby due on my birthday and my wife say I should make one for them.
She pick a pattern already but I have no idea how to sew corner like this.
I have a idea but though I ask the experts.
My idea is to keep one seam even while the other side is overlap 1/4". Stop at corner, fold and continue.

I'm starting to think my wife just want to keep me in the garage. lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619828[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails coin.jpg  
Old 11-17-2019, 03:55 PM

There are a couple of ways to achieve that. One is called an Attic Window block, that has a diagonal seam along the points. It is often done in two tones to give a dimensional effect, but can be done with one color. Many many free patterns and tutorials on Attic Windows. The other thing would to look on how to miter, same thing -- it's often how we do borders.

The other common way would be to "frame" it, or I call it "Sashing as an L". One side of the bars is the same as the square. The other rectangle is longer, it goes over both the square and the other bar of sashing.

You can get some fun out of stripes by strip piecing WoF (width of fabric) a wider strip to a narrow one (or have a narrow one top and bottom), cutting as a triangle and then resewing along the long diagonal through all the pieces. If you cut the stripes well, they will miter together when you do the diagonal.

I used the attic window setting earlier this year, in my case I made rectangles of postcard sized large scenic prints. The attic windows are the two tones of grey. The black sashing was put on like an L, so both in one project. Here's a picture over here
2019 Fabric Moratorium

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
My idea is to keep one seam even while the other side is overlap 1/4". Stop at corner, fold and continue.
Your idea (above) may work. What you are dealing with is an inset seam. The usual approach to dealing with inset seams is to mark the the turn spots on the back side of each piece of fabric (with a dot each).
For your project, it would look like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619830[/ATTACH]
Then, carefully line up the dots and stitch exactly from the dot to the edge of fabric - make sure you do some back stitching at the dot end of the seam to lock the stitches. Then, stitch from the dot to the other edge of the fabric, again doing a back stitching at the dot end of the seam. Make sure all the extra layers are folded off to the side before you stitch the second seam.

Here is an example of sewing inset seams with a square with lots of pictures.

You also have the option of avoiding inset seams by constructing the "L" shaped area from two rectangles, like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619831[/ATTACH]

Depending on what fabric you are using, that "extra" seam can be very unnoticeable.
Attached Thumbnails q5.jpg   q5a.jpg  
Old 11-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Merci Iceblossom and platyhiker

I had though about splitting the L piece but knew there must be a way.
The "dot" idea you mention is similar to what I was thinking but much better though out.

I do appreciate the picture also because I am very visual person.
Reading instruction often don't make sense to me. But maybe thats a man thing since we don't use instruction. lol
Old 11-18-2019, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Reading instruction often don't make sense to me. But maybe thats a man thing since we don't use instruction. lol
Sproket - Iceblossom and platyhiker seemed to cover it all so I have nothing to add about the sewing process. You did make me laugh this morning You sound like a very wise gentleman , however, you are not alone - there is great truth in the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words".
Old 11-18-2019, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

If I were to make a corner like that I would two sections like the last picture. It would end up neater and most people would not know the difference.