Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bunches of goodies! >

bunches of goodies!

bunches of goodies!

Old 11-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Default bunches of goodies!

Last week at my quilt guild meeting we had a huge surprise. The husband of one of our members, who had passed away, gifted a huge room full of her quilting supplies and stash. There was everything from brand new threads. More than 1000 spools. Many of the threads were embroidery threads but others were quilting threads. There were unfinished quilts. I bought home 2 of them. Hundreds of silk neck ties. I bought home a bag of 106 of them. The other 2 bags of ties were much fuller. And fabrics by the bolt! There were boxes and boxes of fabrics. There were gadgets of every kind and every tool imaginable from mats to rotary cutters and rulers of every kind. If you can think of it, it was there. Of course we got to have a field day. Our guild kept many of the mats and irons and smaller ironing boards I also brought home some batiks and a bolt of 108" backing fabric. There was plenty for each member to think Christmas came early.

The 2 beautiful quilts, one I would like to keep for myself but feel I should do them both up for charity quilts. One will take me a very long time to finish correctly and it is to die for gorgeous. Would it be appropriate to keep the one quilt for myself and do just one for a charity or should I do both of them for charity quilt since all these goodies were donated to the guild?
Old 11-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I think your friend would be pleased if you liked the one top well enough to keep it.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Agreed with SB. Make it and keep it to remind yourself of her. She would be touched that her memory lives on in your home. I know *I * would be .
Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I think your friend would be pleased if you liked the one top well enough to keep it.
I agree with sewbiz. If you still feel you should donate something, then use some of the other items received and make something to give away.

Looking forward to seeing what you make!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

​What a Christmas blessing for you all!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:53 AM

My all means, keep one or both if they mean something to you. I know I'm most likely going to be leaving some tops behind when I go, I'd rather they go to someone that wanted them enough to finish them.

I've participated in a number of quilter's will ceremonies, can be sad but nice too. A couple of years ago I made one of my last big fabric purchases, it was from a lady named Mary who's son was selling off her stash. I took 50 pounds of "small" pieces, so less than 3 yards, paid $2.00/pound. A lot of it was from the 80s-2000s and so fits in with a lot of my stash. I've brought boxes to my quilting group and we sorted through it and took what we wanted and honored the spirit of Mary, who we never met but grew to know through her stash. She definitely had a style and vision, you could see it in her choice of fabrics. In among the other things was a lovely signed and dated cross-stitch sampler, I returned it to the family. Turned out they had a child born that year that never got to know her grandmother and it would go to her.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Enjoy the bounty!

If you feel compelled to donate something to somebody - how about to a food shelf or cash to a favorite organization?
Old 11-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

if it was me that died, i'd want you to keep it for yourself to remember me by. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:51 PM

You should keep the quilt(s) if you like them. I'm sure the lady and her husband would be happy to know they bring you joy.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

What everyone else has said. Keep what you want.