Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend >

Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend

Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend

Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM

I'm staying home today, a tradition I started when my son was young. Thanksgiving was a big holiday for his dad and doesn't mean much to me, so no need to switch holidays, he could bring the son to his mom and I would stay home and be thankful for quiet, peace and bubble baths.

My hubby is going to the family gathering, he's keto. My son and DDiL will also be there, they are vegan and I will miss seeing the grandbundle Leon, almost 2 months old now. I made a green bean casserole with fresh green beans, fresh mushroom and a vegan friendly sauce which is suitable for both keto and vegan. He's also bringing an assortment of fancy olives, again both keto and vegan suitable snacks. Right now I'm waiting for the hubby to leave, he goes early to watch the football game (go Lions!) and then I'm going to start sewing.

I've had a number of issues in the last couple of weeks, but my hot water tank has been replaced, my car is back and actually came in under estimate even if it was in the shop over two weeks. Anyway, I'm behind my self-imposed schedule on the next/current project which still doesn't have a real name. I think I'm going with "Cherry Goose". The blocks are made with flying geese units and all the fabrics have cherries on them except for the red pin dot. My hubby has a bowling league and usually once a month or so I go with him and work on something in the background. While I was pinning the flying geese units Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody came on and suddenly I was head banging along to "Scaramouche Scarmouche can you do the fandango?" which I turned into "cherry goose cherry goose can you make the triangle". (thunder bolts and lightening very very frightening me...)

So, the plan for today is to take some progress photos, finish the last couple of blocks (need them unfinished for some of the photos) and the top put together. Doable.

Tomorrow I am ready for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery, one of the many reasons I'm behind on the Cherry Goose. I found a huge beautiful bag of home dyed fabrics at the thrift store. Unfortunately, although I believe the dyer probably pre-treated the fabric well, and then starched the pieces before pressing, they did not set the dyes properly afterward. While I've been home without a car I've been boiling them to stabilize them, as the hubby said "nothing says coming home like the smell of boiling vinegar". I always enjoy the people who go completely off course with colors or fabrics in mystery project, this year I get to be one of them. Worst thing that happens is I end up with a donation top and someone keeps warm, but it is always fun to do a project like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 AM

I have to work all weekend, so I won't be doing much sewing. I am planning on starting the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt though...I pushed through last weekend and quilted and finished my current project so I had nothing else on my plate for the mystery! If it turns out well, it will be my father's christmas present next year.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:45 AM

won't be doing any quilting or piecing this weekend--DS and family here and it's a busy place with grandboys! the times they are visiting with DIL's family is a welcome quiet spell but not enough time to drag out projects. But will check in nightly to see what others are doing! Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Here's what I have on my design wall - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bos-progress.jpg  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:57 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I'm stitching a scissors case on the embroidery machine for DD. A recent conversation with her started with "Mom, I'm so sorry for all the times I didn't put the scissors back". Yes, she's all grown up now. I have a new pair of scissors for her too.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 AM

Jane, love your design!
Old 11-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Isn't that awesome, Jane. I love how you kept the squares solid instead of being pieced as triangles.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:07 AM

love that strings design, Jane. Wish I access to sewing room this weekend to pull out my strings and get busy! (pre-teen grandson is camping there until Sunday am).
Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Well, it would very nice to join you fine folks. I have never participated in a quilt along before but I still have the flu so can't go to dinner and today should be my quilting day.
I have a pretty piece of fabric with antique sewing notions on it that I am turning into a machine pad with apron. I spent a lot of yesterday measuring, checking, remeasuring, refiguring. I am going to check a few things again but believe I am almost ready to do this. Oh, the problem is that the piece of fabric is actually not really big enough. It will be so nice to get this done it has been on the list for some time.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Thanks so much for hosting this. I've almost got this whipped. My 4th Smith Mountain Morning this one with a good...not perfect....twinned border. You can see one corner completed in the upper left of the picture. I need my head examined I think. Trying to get it done today because you know what tomorrow will bring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20191128_111231_resized_1.jpg