Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you done a Quilt as You Go Quilt? >

Have you done a Quilt as You Go Quilt?

Have you done a Quilt as You Go Quilt?

Old 12-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Default Have you done a Quilt as You Go Quilt?

I am intrigued by the idea. Have you done a QAYG quilt?
happy with the results?
did you quilt with the backing fabric on as well?
thanks in advance for sharing😊
Old 12-15-2019, 09:15 PM

I made a small one in a class where we did each block separately as a double sided quilt block and then used the narrow sashing to attach the blocks to each other.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 PM

I have been doing qayg for about 20 years, it is nearly the only way I quilt. I love it. I do not do the typical squares w/ narrow sashing.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I have been doing qayg for about 20 years, it is nearly the only way I quilt. I love it. I do not do the typical squares w/ narrow sashing.
Curious as to how you do your qayg, Kassaundra, if you don't do typical squares.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:10 AM

I've seen a QAYG method where the blocks of the left hand column are joined, then layered onto columns of batting and backing and then quilted upto 1.5" of each edge. The next column of blocks (second from the left) is joined to to the first column before that column of batting and backing is added. This column can then be quilted including the part of the previous column that hadn't been done. The next column is added and so on until all columns have been added and quilted.

Whilst you will be wrangling a larger and larger amount of quilt, no more than the width of one column will be under the throat of the machine. I confess that this is still on my list of things to try, but if you want a go you will find a tute on Youtube.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:26 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU

This set of tutorials - there are 3 - is similar to How I QAYG.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
How do you make your QAYG ?
Old 12-16-2019, 03:25 AM

I've done several QAYG quilts, from king size to lap. The king size one I joined the blocks(front and batting) and did a solid backing and joined it by stitch in the ditch for the rows. The throw and lap size quilts I did the entire sandwhich (front, batting, and backing) and joined with sashing between the blocks. I have to say, I like the sashing method the best. IMOP, when I joined the blocks and did a solid backing, I could feel each block on the back because of the bulk, and I ironed my seams open for it. When I joined the blocks with sashing, I did a half inch finish, so when joined with a 1/4 inch seam they laid flat and no bulk. I really enjoy the QAYG method.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Only one time. Each horizontal strip 8” by width of finished quilt, so that needs to be cut the long way of the yardage (not width of fabric unless it’s pieced). I was learning at church from another quilter. I remember it was large, actually I should’ve started with a smaller one. I don’t remember how I finished it on the sides.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:04 AM

I have made QAYG and really enjoyed the process. I made the method where each block is quilted with a wider backing. Each block is then sewn back to back with the extra toward the front. The backing is then folded over the front of the block like a border and stitched down. I love the method, but it does only have the thread holding the blocks together. It was a life saver on a larger quilt.