Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Get That Old, Musty Smell Out of Your Stash Fabrics? >

How Do You Get That Old, Musty Smell Out of Your Stash Fabrics?

How Do You Get That Old, Musty Smell Out of Your Stash Fabrics?

Old 12-21-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I have a large stash of vintage fabrics that I have kept odor free and in great shape for 30 years and less. Some fabrics are older but since can't claim the age of the fabric we start where I know.I keep them in cool dark cabinets out of sunlight. Once a year I take them all out to be aired out. The are shaken out and refolded and then folded properly and put back in the cupboards sorted by color for the most part or by fabric type. There are exceptions. I have some much older feed sacks and the like that are kept in cedar chest. I have two nice chest just for this. Any fabric I pick up at garage sales, estate sales or the like are washed in warm water and hung to dry outside if weather permits or over a rack in the house. They are washed a second time if necessary. I use a homemade laundry soap that has no fragrance. I have to iron things usually and that can take hours. Once done I usually do not have problems again with fabrics I bring in from these sales.
Thanks for this tip. These are all small pieces, so I can't just pop them into the washing machine. I think that the best idea is to just air them out. I'll wait until the rainy season is over, so the air is warm and dry.

~ C