Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found a blackside featherweight to buy >

Found a blackside featherweight to buy

Found a blackside featherweight to buy

Old 01-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Found a blackside featherweight to buy

I’m so excited! I’ve been researching featherweight machines and have absolutely fallen in love with the blackside version. I found one to purchase from a shop that is only about 3 hours away from me! They are having a maintenance class Saturday after next so I will be learning on it how to clean/maintain it. The shop owner is going to make sure it runs well but leave the clean up/tune up parts to me. So glad to be learning in a class instead of from a video.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:46 PM

goodie goodie gumdrops!! so happy you found one that makes your heart dance. My treadle has a Singer 66 blackside, I just love it.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Lucky you! I got a bargain one to bring to classes as my big machine is just too heavy to take to class. You will be thrilled on what a nice straight stitch they sew.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:59 PM

Congratulations! Mine is my traveling machine also. Be careful they can be habit forming. I ended up with three before I realized I really only needed one. So gave the other 2 to my sister and my niece.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:22 AM

Quiltingcandy has that right! I have way too many machines but once I bring them home and name them they are here to stay. I adore my Featherweights. I would love to attend that class. Enjoy.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:33 AM

Default ???

What is a blackside featherweight?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
What is a blackside featherweight?
The best explanation I know of can be found at https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...ackside-finish

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-04-2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 01-04-2020, 09:10 AM

Congratulations! You will love this little baby! They are great machines easy to service and you can do most of this yourself. I love my little Olivia! Iam sure you will love yours too.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:10 PM

Thanks Everyone. I’m pretty excited. I’m thinking of naming her Dora after my grandmother who was a seamstress.

im having a hard time finding care instructions for the blackside finished parts. I’m thinking the people we are getting her from should be able to give us some idea, but it seems that most websites don’t go into that much detail.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
....im having a hard time finding care instructions for the blackside finished parts. I’m thinking the people we are getting her from should be able to give us some idea, but it seems that most websites don’t go into that much detail.
I have looked, too, for how to care for blackside items. I haven't found any, either. I have read that regular metal polish will ruin it. I did use some TR-3 on some slide plates, that seemed to work OK. I think TR-3 is no longer being made.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.