2020 UFO Challenge

Old 12-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Wow Rob, I've seen prior pictures of the butterfly but your finish is truly amazing. I didn't realize it was 3D. What a piece of art.👏
Old 12-08-2020, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

After ripping stitches for over three hours, last night I pulled a long UFO off the LA..had lots of issues with the pantograph and it overstitching on the previous row. Not sure how it happened. But it's done except for trimming and binding which will be put off. Have the backing and batting on the La for the next quilt. Hope to work on it after work tonight.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:40 PM

OKsewglad, that must have been so frustrating. I have picked out enough quilting to weep and mourn with you. You sound ready to forge ahead with that second quilt ready to go already! Whoopie!

I have laid out some UFO's to finish before the end of the year. Looking to finish at least one and perhaps another. Once Christmas week arrives, I should be free to be very focused on getting a quilt off the UFO pile and on the donate pile.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:11 AM

Oksewglad- I know how frustrating that can be. Congratulations on getting it done and out of your hair!!!

Rob
Old 12-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for your encouraging words, WMUTeach and rryder! What's frustrating is the second to last row has also overlapped; the last row is nice and even across the quilt. I am debating on whether to rip out the last half of the offending row at a later time and resew. This is a charm quilt (meaning no 2 fabrics alike in the 1 1/2" 9P's) that I have worked on and off over several years and one of my "special" quilts.

That being said I am off to finish pinning on the next quilt and use a different pantograph!
Old 12-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Hey y'all, here it a picture of the Big Butterfly.

It was a UFO for a good long while and then this past spring I decided to finish it. What I thought was going to be a March or April finish ended up taking until Nov. 30---and not because I wasn't working on it. I lost many battles with it, but finally, I think, I won the war

Thanks for looking,
Rob
That is FANTASTIC!

Is it trapunto? What kind of fabric did you use for the wings? How big is it?

It's like looking at a photo.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM

oksewglad: Oh my to fixing a quilt top with 1.5” 9 patches. Great idea to use a different pantograph.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
That is FANTASTIC!

Is it trapunto? What kind of fabric did you use for the wings? How big is it?

It's like looking at a photo.

thanks,

The entire butterfly is heavily thread painted. The fabric underneath (which you can’t see due to the amount of thread painting) is cotton. Yes, it is trapunto. The entire piece is approx. 27” x 37”. I did the free motion thread painting on my domestic machine using a bunch of different kinds of thread from my stash. But I did the final quilting over the trapunto butterfly with my Sweet Sixteen as there is no way a domestic machine would be able to go through the thickness - several inches of wool under the butterfly + batting and backing.

Rob
Old 12-10-2020, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
oksewglad: Oh my to fixing a quilt top with 1.5” 9 patches. Great idea to use a different pantograph.
Oops I should have said patches made from 1.5 squares...they measure 3" finished...although I do have a big one made of 1.5 9P! Call me crazy...

Almost finished with the next quilt on LA...work today and tomorrow so not going to get much done on it,
Old 12-10-2020, 04:57 PM

Smile

oksewglad: Whew! I know you do a lot with small squares. Bless your heart for using those teeny-tiny pieces of fabric. I do keep 1.5" squares and strips but mostly use the strips in strip blocks to frame smaller blocks in a scrappy way. I'm actually using up a bunch of the strips now to frame my Sesame Street squares (about 3.5" starting size) to get to a finished size of 10.5". I have no clue what someone was planning to make with the squares but my goal is to get them into the bigger size within a week.

I'm hoping to start on another UFO soon but can't decide which one to choose.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 12-10-2020 at 05:08 PM.