Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
what angle >

what angle

what angle

Old 01-06-2020, 04:29 AM

Default what angle

is there free directions for this
what is the angle
thought using white bg would be able to use scraps and not so busy with the white
Thanks Gale
Attached Thumbnails 4479239.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 06:05 AM

I believe it's a 60 degree angle.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 AM

Yes, there is a free pattern out there somewhere for this because I have used it. I made a wedding quilt for my sister and BIL. They have been married now almost 19 years so I have to figure about 20 years ago I made the quilt. I don't know where I got it but most likely in a quilting magazine and most likely in an edition of Better Homes and Garden Quilting Magazine. That is the only magazine I subscribed to back in the day. If my memory serves me right they are 60 degree angles. Was very easy to make. I will have to do some real digging for the pattern. This is one of those times that searching the internet for the pattern may be easy. It was called "The Gift Box" if my memory is right.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 AM

I believe it is called tumbling blocks quilt, can be done with English Paper Piecing. Pinterest have many photos of different color combinations.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 AM

It is definitely a variation of Tumbling Blocks otherwise known as baby blocks. I'm looking for that pattern but I'm getting pages and pages of "how to do tumbling blocks without a y seam" instead.

I have found for-sale variations of completed tops using both 4- and 9-patch variations but no pattern yet!

Last year at the thrift store I found a rather nice unfinished baby block top in early 80s cranberry, maroon and pink (it works). I haven't quilted it down yet but I've spent quite a bit of time looking at quilting designs for it.

Edit: It would be pretty easy to print out a Tumbling block pattern and fold it to get your diamond shapes. Remember to add seam allowances!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:09 AM

Google
Free Tumbling blocks quilt pattern
You can read for days and will learn a lot. Then you have to decide if you want to do HST's or Y seams. To me, the y Seams look better because the block sides and tops don't have seams in them, so the pattern in the fabric is still there. Either way, I can't wait to see what you come out with.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Jinny Beyer has a lot of info on her website. This pattern uses tumbling blocks:
https://jinnybeyer.com/product/crayon-box-quilt/
I scrolled through her free patterns but this crayon box is what I had been looking for.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I believe it is called tumbling blocks quilt, can be done with English Paper Piecing. Pinterest have many photos of different color combinations.
EPP is how I did one many years ago. I meticulously drew/cut all the papers from old file folders. It was pretty easy to rotary cut the fabrics with the 60 degree angle on my ruler. Great traveling project. I did a largish baby quilt for my niece who just turned 17! Yikes!
Old 01-08-2020, 09:20 PM

60 degrees.
Cut up some diamonds, either with a template for a scrappy look or by strip piecing if you're in a time crunch.
Decide on your size first - example 2 1/2"
Old 01-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

This is similar to the rumbas quilt from MSQS. I bought the ruler and made one for my newborn grandson.