Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back basting applique >

Back basting applique

Back basting applique

Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Default Back basting applique

It's suppose to be the new 'applique'. Anyone here use this method before and if you have does it make the needle turn that much easier? One of the LQS is having a four hour class on this. The owner said anyone that does not like hand applique will love this way. I do not like sewing hand applique so I signed up. LOL
Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

You can back bast with thread, starch or glue, I wonder which method you will be using.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

This is a new needle turn method using thread. I may like it but never was a fan of hand applique but I won't know until I try.
The class will be interesting and get me out and about for the day.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM

I just watched a video on this technique. It seems simple enough to do. Something I will try on the next applique quilting project. When is your class? Tell us more after you complete it . It sounds so interesting.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

It’s really not a new technique, I was taught to back baste appliqué almost 20 years ago. I do find it easier than regular needle turn appliqué, I have a friend who hates doing it that way though. Me, I hated needle turn.
always nice to sign up and try out ( new to you) techniques so you can find something that makes sense to you maybe shows you ways to do things in a different way that increases your enjoyment
Old 01-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

The basting holes made by the needle is the key to getting the edge to turn perfectly is what I was told. No cutting out of shapes either so that is a plus. Should be fun. The class isn't until March though.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM

I made a bed size quilt that was all appliqué and used the back basting method. I tried a few other methods first, but found back basting best. Enjoy the class.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

This method was just shown to us at our last guild meeting. The girl that demoed it said she likes the accuracy of it. She traces her pattern on Press and Seal and puts it on the backside of fabric. Looks interesting. Have fun at class.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 AM

Not really a new method. You don't make templates. However, you are still doing needle turn applique. Much more accurate placing of applique pieces.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You can back bast with thread, starch or glue, I wonder which method you will be using.
How would you back baste with glue or starch? Sorry Tartan-----could you please explain. I can't get my head wrapped around it. I have used the thread back basting. Thank you. Could be faster?