Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone identify this pattern? >

Can anyone identify this pattern?

Can anyone identify this pattern?

Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 PM

Question Can anyone identify this pattern?

I don’t know what the name of this block is, and I am curious about its construction. Looking at the front of it, I think it would require partial seams, but the back (I don’t have a photo of that, unfortunately) doesn’t seem to have interrupted seams. If I had a name for it, aside from some variation of Log Cabin, maybe I could find out more.
I’d appreciate any ideas you might have! (Now, if only I don’t embarrass myself by failing to attach the photo…)
d169d7d1-2a28-40f0-b5ce-b3697fe7f9b1.jpeg
Old 01-16-2020, 12:21 AM

I don’t know the name but construction looks like log cabin style. The difference is you use strip sets as the logs rather than single strips
on second look it is done with partial seam going around the center square with the 2 piece strip set
Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
...........on second look it is done with partial seam going around the center square with the 2 piece strip set
Agree! .... assembled the same as the Bright Hopes quilt block, except for using the two piece strips.

I've seen this done with a four piece strip set, using tonal variations of one colour. Quite appealing.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 AM

Keep in mind, only one of the four sides will have a partial seam, so you may have to look carefully to discover which of the four it is.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:26 AM

I just saw your post. I may have this one in my pattern notebook. If not the same one it is close. It was a free on-line pattern. Let me check.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 AM

This one isn't the same but I will post for inspiration. No partial seams though.

https://www.benartex.com/contempo/fa...free_pattern=1
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 AM

I don't know the name of the pattern, but it is interesting and it could be something I may like to make from Civil War prints someday.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM

You could probably use this tutorial method, only make your logs into two fabrics instead of just the one as shown. http://prettybyhand.com/blog/2013/8/...-tutorial.html
Old 01-16-2020, 08:11 AM

Don't know the actual name either, and yes it does use a partial seam for construction, but I think most could be put on in sets of 2 instead of 1 like a log cabin.

Last year I made a traditional Flying Square top when I discovered about 700 Y2K squares in a bag in my scraps. Similar in concept, except the "dark" is made up of pieced squares and only one round. I don't know if it was just because I was using my fancy new machine with the thread cutter and all that, but I was laughing at myself on why was I ever concerned about partial seams? It only "seems" hard, really nothing to fear.
Attached Thumbnails not-y2k.jpg  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:36 AM

I don't know the name of the block but I did draw it in EQ7 for you. The block finishes at 12 inches. All the strips finish at 1 inch. The center finishes as a 4 inch square. You will have to add your seam allowance. I drew the block in colors of light/dark only for the purpose of showing the different aspects of the block. I would sew the strips and then sub-cut to the size needed.
Attached Thumbnails 2-strip-log-cabin-like-w-partial-seams.jpg