Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ripping out stitches - can I do it twice over the same spot? >

Ripping out stitches - can I do it twice over the same spot?

Ripping out stitches - can I do it twice over the same spot?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Ripping out stitches - can I do it twice over the same spot?

I am putting borders on a quilt. The first border I didn’t like because of the color, so I ripped it out. Now I’m half way done sewing on my second border and it is a tad uneven, so I’m thinking of ripping out the stitches on one side. But I can’t help being worried about the fabric getting beaten up too much. Will it hold up to another ripping session, or will it start fraying? It is good quality quilt fabric from Andover, but still I’m worried. Has anyone ever ripped out stitches twice, and how did it turn out?
Old 01-17-2020, 09:15 AM

I have ripped out stitching, on the quilt I am working on now, in a couple places as many as 3x because I had the stitching uneven. The fabrics held just fine. I am always careful and slow with my handy seam ripper. On this quilt, Apple Core blocks, there are curves on all sides. I knew starting this one that my seam ripper and frog stitching were going to be my best friends. I haven't been proven wrong.
Just be careful and support your fabrics as you are taking out stitches slowly. Don't get ahead of yourself and you should be just fine.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM

As it’s a good quality fabric you should be ok.

I find it helpful to give the fabric a little press with the iron, if that’s possible. This will flatten the fabric and make it easier to stitch again.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:27 AM

I have unfortunately had to do that a few times recently (*cough*). I always try to rip it very gently and then press afterwards to minimize any waving. I assume any needle holes left over on the edge (when I've had to rip to make it more scant) will dissappear after quilting/washing. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Some days I count myself lucky if I only have to rip a seam twice. Be gentle with the fabric, taking care not to stretch it (especially if it's on the bias) and you will be fine.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:07 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you cut through the stitches on one side about every 3-4 stitches and then pull the thread on the other, you can minimize the fraying and possible distortion of the fabric. Try not to pull on the fabric; pull on the thread. BTW, my record is 4.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
If you cut through the stitches on one side about every 3-4 stitches and then pull the thread on the other, you can minimize the fraying and possible distortion of the fabric. Try not to pull on the fabric; pull on the thread. BTW, my record is 4.
I always rip stitches like this. No stress on the fabrics.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your messages. I just got home from work and will confidently move ahead with ripping these borders off again. I really appreciate your tips on how to do this with minimal damage to the fabric.