Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread problems >

thread problems

thread problems

Old 01-17-2020, 01:52 PM

Default thread problems

the top thread of my tin lizzie has been very loopy and sometimes causes the bobbin thread to loop and break. i have changed the tenison on it both ways and does not seem to help. i was wondering if getting a diffrent style of needle would help or something else is wrong and i need to take it to my local dealer.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Could be the thread.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 PM

To me, it sounds like you're missing the tension disks, or the thread is popping out the disks when you sew. A pic would speak a thousand words.
I would rethread right from the start, paying particular attention to those tension disks. Then start to sew slowly..does it mess up right from the start or does it sew a few good stitches first?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
To me, it sounds like you're missing the tension disks, or the thread is popping out the disks when you sew. A pic would speak a thousand words.
I would rethread right from the start, paying particular attention to those tension disks. Then start to sew slowly..does it mess up right from the start or does it sew a few good stitches first?
i have torn it all out 4 times already and dont want to try again till i can possibly fix it so i am sorry i dont have a picture. i have rethread it 2 times and it does a few good stiches (about an inch or two worth) then it messes up or it will do about a third of the design then start messing up. the thinking behind the needle is as it sews it leaves big holes where it sews.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

It is possible your check spring needs replacing.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM

try a different thread first and see if it happens still. It sounds like your thread may be an issue--is it coming off the cone smoothly? You don't say what type of thread,but sometimes the shinier threads like Glide, etc can slip off and get caught on the cone and then pull. Use a loose thread (or cut the a piece of old stockings)net to slide over the cone. Also, check to make sure that the needle size you are using matches up with your thread. for instance, a #16 needle works well with #50 thread, a #40thread probably needs a #18 needle, etc. A too big needle can be almost as big a problem as a too small. Good luck--if you could post a picture of a sample it would help.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM

If you're getting needle marks where it's not stitching, it needs to be timed.
Have you ever had this machine working? Your other post was about this machine, too..is it a handyman's special type of thing or have you had this a while?
Old 01-18-2020, 08:55 PM

If the thread on top is loopy, there's no tension on the bobbin case. Make sure the thread is under the flat spring. If so, tighten the tension screw until you can lift the bobbin case up by the thread, but it doesn't leave your hand.