Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Aprons for a handicapped friend >

Aprons for a handicapped friend

Aprons for a handicapped friend

Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by barbaraodle47 View Post
I once made a dear friend some aprons out of terrycloth and I used bath towels.
Thanks! I think I'll incorporate terry from a towel into the bib.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
How about seersucker for summer aprons? They are already wrinkled and contain some polyester. When my children were babies, seersucker was all cotton and I made summer-weight receiving blankets from it. Love them!
Good idea. I'll check into it.. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
Dan River was a brand name and they no longer are in business.. I cut many yards of their poplin back when I worked in the fabric department of a store. Kaufman makes a poly/cotton blend poplin https://www.fabric.com/collection/ro...erfecto-poplin Denim also comes in different weights. This is a shirt weight denim, only 4 ounces https://www.joann.com/sew-classic-bo.../11771649.html. It is much lighter than the 7-12 ounces bottomweights.
Thanks for the resource!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:04 AM
Suz

One of the ladies in the guild here in Florida showed an apron (not a bib) to be used while dining in a restaurant. Using two yards of fabric folded lengthwise and stitched to make a rectangle. Could be lined with plastic and pockets added. It is to be placed over the shoulders and overlapped in the front and a portion will lay on the lap. Much more dignified than the bib style and of course, much prettier.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:29 PM

Maybe use terricloth . I would be warmer and you could make from old or ceaper towels.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM

Have ;you seen the kitchen boas. They are a strip of fabric going around the neck hanging down as far as you like. Then stitch hand towels or washcloths at the ends to spread out and wipe hands. Don't know if this would give you the coverage you want but is nice looking.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer View Post
Have ;you seen the kitchen boas. They are a strip of fabric going around the neck hanging down as far as you like. Then stitch hand towels or washcloths at the ends to spread out and wipe hands. Don't know if this would give you the coverage you want but is nice looking.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately these won't work. My friend is not mobil enough to use this style.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:51 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
One of the ladies in the guild here in Florida showed an apron (not a bib) to be used while dining in a restaurant. Using two yards of fabric folded lengthwise and stitched to make a rectangle. Could be lined with plastic and pockets added. It is to be placed over the shoulders and overlapped in the front and a portion will lay on the lap. Much more dignified than the bib style and of course, much prettier.
Thanks for the suggestion. Speaking of lining with plastic....someone suggested PUL fabric for the backing. Has anyone used it? About Fabric.com example How does it hold up after washing several times?