Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine cabinet >

sewing machine cabinet

sewing machine cabinet

Old 02-01-2020, 01:58 PM

Default sewing machine cabinet

Hi - looking for a sewing machine cabinet. what do you have and what do you love/hate about it? where would you suggest I look for one? Thanks
Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM

I have an Arrow cabinet they call Big Bertha and that it is!. It has a lift so you can adjust for the height of your machine. Also lowers down so the cabinet can be completely closed. I have had it for maybe 8 years or so and it has worked very well for me. I was sewing in our guest room when I got it and used to fold it clear down when company came. Now I have the lower level for sewing so really don't need to put it away. The company makes an acrylic insert specific to your sewing machine. When I got a new machine I was able to order a new insert from the company. I believe I ordered it from Sew, Vac Direct. I would not have been able to do the assembly myself but my husband didn't have any trouble with it. The price range was right for me.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:25 AM

My favorites are 7-drawer kneehole desks. I have 3 for machines, 1 for 'all-in-one' computer, and a student desk with 3 large drawers on the left side that holds hoops & stabilizers for the emb machine on top.. I love the storage in each desk for each machine. Mercy! I didn't realize I had that many desks until I started this post.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:50 AM

The Amish around here make them. My favorite part is the thread drawer. These are available in a variety of woods and run about $1000.00 out the door. Depends on where you live what it would cost to get it to you. There is an acrylic insert to go around the edge of your machine, so you really can't switch machines unless you were to get a different insert. The drawers are dovetailed and the hardware is no-slam.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:58 AM

I have a cheaply made smallish table with a lift. Picked it up on Craigslist for $20. But it does the trick. Can lower the machine all the way to close it up or have the upper leaf extended to the left when open. It has 4 or 5 drawers on the right-hand side of cabinet. Also has a small leaf on the right hand side top which covers a shallow, open compartment presumably for corralling your tools/threads for that session. I don't have enough room to take advantage of that small space.

I see cabinets frequently enough on CL that I think it's worthwhile trolling there if you are in no hurry.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:35 AM

I use a 30x 60 table for sewing and embroidery machine. There is a 20x 60 table next to it in an "L" shape. This set-up works better for me. Plus not enough room around the machine to layout and spread out various tools or fabrics. I can store the serger and other storage boxes under the tables too.

Think about how you sew or quilt. How much storage do you need? Will the table fit if you purchase a different machine? The specialized sewing tables don't have enough storage for my supplies. Check there is enough space at the back of the machine if you want to quilt large projects.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:39 AM

I need to be sitting directly in front of my needle and so many cabinets have you sitting too far to the right with no way to get your chair in front because of the limited space tp put your chair. For his reason, I bought the SewEzi table that is completely open in front and allows me to position my chair where I need it. This table comes in two sizes and with an insert surround for your machine. Other inserts can be purchased for about $50 if you change machines. It’s affordable and portable.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks! Right now I have my old machine in an Arrow cabinet with a lift- have had it for years. but the new machine is too big for the opening. Thought about using a jigsaw to make the opening bigger - but then I would have rough edges.
I was looking at another Arrow - but they are expensive - never thought of craigslist! The new machine is on a folding table but vibrates too much if you sew fast.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:17 PM

You can get a veneer that is on a roll and would stick to the rough edges if you want to make your current desk/cabinet opening larger.

I personally use an old bank desk - heavy as heck, and has the area to the right of the drawers (which are all on the left) completely open. I love the desk as it's big enough to have my sewing where I want/need it, my tray with bits and pieces to the right and still not be crowded. My husband made inserts for two of the three drawers and most of my thread fills them.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Check out Sewing Machine Plus sometimes they have cabinets on sale. I bought a cabinet by Fashion now Galaxy. It is worth every penny. I have electric lift, comes with cut out for flatbed as well as solid insert to use embroidery machine. Plenty of draw space. Back lifts to provide additional quilting space.
Well made cabinet "a piece of furniture" .