Another scam?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:58 PM

Default On Craidslist

Originally Posted by no1jan View Post
I have had many of the above scams The one on Social Security is a great one. I called our local SS office and she told me that they NEVER call only mail. She also told me that somehow they manage to use their phone number.
I have also been lucky not to be scammed on Craidslist. They want you to send them the item and they will send you a check for the item plus shipping. Although, the check is NO good!
I wanted to sell something and One person replied to come to my house. The hair stood up on the back of my neck--I called the PD and asked permission to do the sale on property to which the Major (a friend of mine) agreed. Interestingly when I told the person that the sale would be at the PD the person never showed. The Major had planned to 'talk' to the person until I was home as it was after the banks closed and I would have had a good deal of cash on hand at my apt of the time. Always nice to have a few friends on the department.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:03 AM

The point Motley made about the police dept. made me remember what a policeman told us once. They would much rather get called out if you are not sure, then to have a crime happen and hear people say, "I thought something was suspicious, but I didn't want to bother the police about it."

Just another note on Craigslist scams - beware the ones that answer your ad and want to "send a code to your phone" - totally a scam and it will be signing you up for something you don't want and will be billed for.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:14 AM

I guess I am about to have my social security card revoked due to my criminal activity. Did not call them back, do not know what I did.LOL Crazy times we live in.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 AM

I haven't received that one, but I keep getting one for my American Express card which I haven't had for more than 25 years now.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:09 PM

Talking Whole Food Survey Scam

It's a text and then a mailed cashiers check.
1. The property does not exist. I looked it up on 3 different web maps. The name on my envelope is R**** G****e. Address is 5230 Chancery Blvd; Greenwood, IN 46143. Like I said this address does not exist so I am not putting out anyone's personal information.

2. Company's Name was not able to be found anywhere on the internet Whole Food Survey.

3. Mailing came from Los Angeles California
So explain to me why it was mailed from California if this so called business is in Indiana.

4. Maybe the biggest clue--Cashier's Check was supposedly drawn from Fort Bragg Federal Credit Union Federal Crime here maybe because they involved a Federal Credit Union and The Army. Maybe they are going to Face the FBI .

Now in "fairness" they claim to be a Mystery Shopper company. Fine. I love doing mystery shopping and they are an honest program used by many retail businesses. It's a lot of fun if you like to go shopping, eating out, shopping...I see you are getting the picture. Fun!! HoweverNever did I ever receive a check from any business Before I did my job. Now let's be realistic. Have you ever known any business to hire someone, give them a paycheck and tell them now go do your job to earn the money I just gave you??? Does Not Happen.

A mystery shopper spends their own money does what is required and then scans the receipt, sends it to their company and is then Reimbursed and paid whatever their contract was for. Simple.

Went thru this to finish my warning...I was sent a check for $2860.50 and told now go buy W* gift cards for $2500 from 2 different W* stores and purchase a $10 Cashier's Check for the American Cancer Society. This really burned me. My Momma survived cancer 3 times. Don't Never try to defraud the ACS thru me because it Won't Happen!

Well after all this let me add:
1--Called my local Police Department and asked if the needed the information and he said "No -- just destroy it so it cannot be followed thru with someone else because I would have a hard time proving I was not the one that cashed it or paid someone else to cash it since my name was on the check, I would most likely be arrested and charged."
2--Called the Federal Trade Commission and filed a complaint with the Feds!!! They will be looking for these person(s). Gave them the Names, Addresses, Emails, and Phone Numbers.
3--If any of you crooks from this scam are reading this You picked the Wrong Person. I will report you every time you try to use me for your scams.
4--I will tell it like it is -- You Are A Crook and this Is A Scam.

Thank You Quilters for taking the time to read this and please Do Pass It On to everyone you know.

Your Quilting Away Friend, Motley

Last edited by Motley; 02-24-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Sisquilter1
Did you get a letter or phone call? SSA never calls Only sends mail.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM
Suz

So far this week I have received two emails about a credit card I don’t have. I noted in their letter several misspellings, no punctuation at the end of some sentences and no capital letter at the beginning of a paragraph. Surely a reputable company or organization would do better. And the letter was not signed. Sort of a dead giveaway.

The delete button works well on my laptop.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:57 PM

My favorite one was from the US Secretary of State

I have been looked for as I am ready to be sent $25 Mil due to being an heir to Bla Bla Bla...Oh how I could use 25 Mil but called the State Department and heard them Laughing--then "Ma'am You are the 200th (or whatever #) that has called this month. No you have Not been looked for. No we do not have 25 pennies to give you. No we do not want to be contacted by these scammers. We're very sorry we cannot help you. Please have a great day. Good-bye" click.

Aw-rats not gonna get even a few pennies. Bad guys lose again!

Yes they actually said exactly that when I called for verification this was a scam.

Such is life. My life is full of blessings every day--I woke up, I am able to have a place to sleep at night, I have food to eat when hungry, I have a wonderful family, I live a life that I enjoy.
Would like to buy my own house and have a Realtor that has helped me in many ways most realtors would never even consider doing.

Last edited by Motley; 02-27-2020 at 02:08 PM.