Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading a single needle twice >

Threading a single needle twice

Threading a single needle twice

Old 02-07-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Threading a single needle twice

I want to use metallic gold thread on a machine embroidery design. Because metallic thread often breaks, I am wondering if I could thread the one needle twice to make the thread stronger. I have threaded a single needle twice but not with metallic thread. ??? Thanks for any help with this.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:13 AM

I would think it would break even faster because of the added friction against the other thread. The 2 threads would most likely twist around each other and the effect of the gold metallic thread would be lost in the process. I would loosen the tension a bit when sewing with the metallic thread, just a little so it can pass through easier. Just a thought.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Juliasb and would add to make sure you use a needle made specifically for metallic thread. They have a larger eye and scarf. This blog will probably help.

https://quiltsocial.com/spotlite-6-t...estic-machine/

One last thing to add; if the metallic does give you fits, there are many trilobal poly embroidery threads on the market that have the look of metallic, especially gold. I especially like Glide in color Cleopatra. I used it in this quilt: "Peony Fantasy" an Asian Panel quilt massively quilted
Old 02-07-2020, 08:13 AM

I was very happy last year using Superior's Metallic Gold color. I used it to quilt down a lap quilt with rather thick batting and I expected a lot more troubles than I got -- which was none. For that I was doing a large free motion meander with a BSR (bernina stitch regulator).

I also personalized my hubby's bowling rags with a Todd Todd Todd border using that same thread, again, zero breakage.

Today's metallic threads are not the horrible things of the 1980s!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Double threading the needle will make the thread break. One thing that you CAN do is use a chrome or titanium needle. It does not conduct heat like a regular needle does. ( A major cause of thread breakage) Also, slow down your machine. You do not have to sew at top speed.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:40 AM

I agree (again!) with Feline Fanatic. Make sure you're using the proper needle.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Don't do it! How is thread wound on the spool? You should use a thread stand and move the stand so it away from the machine a bit. It gives the thread room to un-wind. The kinks in the thread are causing the breaks. Slow the machine down while stitching.

Needle type and size can cause issues too.

Do you have good or bad thread? LOL I just checked my thread and it is OK as it's straight as it comes off the spool.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/vide...reads-part-one

Last edited by Rhonda K; 02-07-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:18 PM

I did it once with poly thread on my embroidery machine. It worked fine, just use a large eye needle and go slow. You have nothing to lose by trying it on a scrap sandwich.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:10 AM

And may I suggest 2 - 3 drizzles down the side of the spool of "sewer's aid", or even plain mineral oil will let the thread slide thru the needle. I use mineral oil when any of my threads create problems. I filled a small eye drops bottle and keep it near the thread stand.