Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help identifying Singer cabinet >

Need help identifying Singer cabinet

Need help identifying Singer cabinet

Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Default Need help identifying Singer cabinet

I have a Singer 201K (manufactured in Scotland and belt driven) that came in a cabinet that looks like it may have begun as a treadle cabinet No. 2, but with wooden legs instead of the iron work. I was wondering if the cabinet came with the wooden legs or if someone replaced the iron legs later to make the cabinet look more "modern." Has anyone ever seen a cabinet like this? I haven't been able to find a photo of one online. I have a receipt for the original purchase by a woman in Portland, Oregon. The machine was purchased for $203, minus a $75 credit for a Model 66 trade-in. Thank you in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails dscn6197r.jpg  
Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 PM

No, the legs are not replaced. I've seen that cabinet before. I looked at Ismacs.net, but didn't find it immediately as a cabinet for the 201. Maybe that's because it's not one made in America. You can to go through all the cabinets until you find the matches yours at Ismacs.net.

Someone may recognize it as well. Unlike me, they may have more information than, "Yes, I've seen that cabinet before".

bkay
Old 02-10-2020, 07:24 PM

I've seen this cabinet but have no idea what the Singer cabinet number is.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:34 PM

I have that cabinet, came with a 15-91.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:20 AM

This style cabinet is newer than most would think. I've not found it listed in most of the older information, like what Ismacs has. Maybe there was some sort of "retro" trend so Singer came out with a cabinet that had the older "treadle" look to it.

I've seen it quite often, and thought the same thing the first time I saw one. But after looking at the construction, it's got the later style brackets and construction.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:41 PM

I've seen lots of 301s in that cabinet.