Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for permission to press my seams open >

Looking for permission to press my seams open

Looking for permission to press my seams open

Old 02-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Default Looking for permission to press my seams open

Kind of joking, because I know I don't really need permission and I can do what I want, . As part of my current project I have to pair up and sew together about 2000 1.5" squares. Normally I would press to the dark side but whenever I do this there is always that tiny ridge that gets in the way and when sewing to other pieces it skews my 1/4" seam by a few hairs. On a 5" block it may not be that noticeable but with blocks so tiny and so many of them it will be. I just feel it will be a neater look if the seams are pressed open. In the long run, would this really be a bad thing to do for the quilt? I know it's a no-no if stitching in the ditch, but I won't be doing that with this quilt.

Last edited by MeadowMist; 02-18-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Your quilt, your way! ♥
Old 02-18-2020, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes pressing open is the only option. As you said, as long as you don’t plan to stitch in the ditch, it will be fine.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I have pressed all my seams open the last few years. And have stitched in the ditch. If your stitch length is about 1.5 for piecing you won’t have any problems. Leah day goes into this on her website. Most of her tutorials and podcasts are free.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:34 AM

Pressing open your seams sound to be the best option for this quilt with so many tiny pieces. As already mentioned. Your quilt your way.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM

I always press my seams open makes my life easier, permission granted 😁. Don’t forget to shorten your stitch length!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I am a press open too ever since I chatted to the Best in Show winner at Houston one year. She said she always pressed open her seams on every quilt, not just her show quilts.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:57 PM

I am self-taught and I have been pressing open for 40 years now. It is a growing movement! I think more and more people with home quilting set-ups are finding out the joys of open seams.

I believe that pressing to the side is an artifact of hand piecing during a period in American history when our fabric was rather flimsy and is simply not needed in the modern world with modern machines -- including irons! Electric irons are so much better than heating up a solid bar of metal on top of the wood stove).

Here's a nice breakdown by someone other than me!
http://www.equilters.com/library/tec...SeamsOpen.html

But basically it boils down to doing what you like and works for you. I find I get better results pressing open and using pins. Other people try to avoid pinning at all costs and apparently like those ugly bumpy seams and making little snips here and there to spin their seams. I used to be all about precision but now combine pressing open with modern construction techniques and cutting large and trimming down and I am extraordinarily faster and more precise than my friends who are doing it the old school way.l

Personally, I like having one rule and that is "press open". For you press to the siders, well there is the "usually press to the dark" except when doing this, that or the other thing and I really hate what it looks like when you piece two pieces of white together and get that thick heavy visible bar on one side of the design.

edit: I stitch in the ditch all the time, and when I say in the ditch, yes in the seam line itself and not next to it. Your quilting stitch should be larger than your piecing stitch and I have never had an issue. I typically use a 10 needle and about 12+ stitches to the inch to piece, and a 12 needle with about 10 stitches to quilt with. Oh yeah, I've been using Dual Duty cotton wrapped thread for the last 40 years too. No problems with the seams. I pulled out one of my "use" quilts that is some 30+ years old today to put in the dog bed. Because it was not heavily quilted, the fabric in the middle of the pieces where there was no stitching has rotted out but the seams are still beautiful holding together their edges of remaining fabric.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 02-18-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:42 PM

I made an Elizabeth Hartman pattern that had 1" cut squares in it. Lots of little pieces and lots of seams. I made a sample block and quickly discovered that pressing the seams open worked much better than pressing them to the side. I do what works for the specific quilt.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I do what works for the specific quilt.
Ditto! You do you.
(personally the thought of all those little bitty pieces sounds horrible- but I'm going to be over here doing my thing)