Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stiff backing fabric >

stiff backing fabric

stiff backing fabric

Old 02-28-2020, 04:13 AM

Default stiff backing fabric

Does anyone know how to soften stiff backing fabric. I ordered some from Marshall Dry Goods and it is really stiff. Tried washing it twice with fabric softener but it didn't help much
Old 02-28-2020, 05:24 AM
Administrator

when it comes to backing fabric, stiff is a good thing.
there's nothing worse than flippy floppy fabric back there, risking wrinkles, puckers, and who knows what else.
since i always starch the heck out of my fabrics, stiff means less work.

(if you plan to use basting spray to fuse the batting and back, i recommend you was the backing once more to get rid of the fabric softener.)

also, it will soften over time.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:05 AM

Have had clients get wide backing from a particular store that came in precut sizes. It is less expensive but it will never get softer. Have tried everything. I think it may be because of quality of cotton or extremely high thread count.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by FWLover View Post
Have had clients get wide backing from a particular store that came in precut sizes. It is less expensive but it will never get softer. Have tried everything. I think it may be because of quality of cotton or extremely high thread count.

That's what I was thinking was the thread count on this fabric has to be very high which is what you would want for a backing. I it has already been washed then washing it again would not do much good except as said above to get out the softener residue. It should be a good thought to have purchased high quality fabric that should last for many many years.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:11 AM

I had a similar one from Quiltedtwins, but it has softened with handling. It's a queen/king so it has been handled a lot. I'm not concerned about it on the bed at all, if it ever gets there.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:39 PM

I, too, starch the living daylights out of my backing before sandwiching the fabric. It's much easier to get a smooth backing that way. The backing I used on a quilt I made for my husband was quite stiff but softened up nicely after it was quilted and washed.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:51 PM

You could try soaking it in the washer over night with fabric softner in the water. The next day wash as usual. I have done this with my husbands new jeans & it does soften them.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:29 PM

I find that stiffer wideback is because of heavy dye--try soaking it in hot water with some color catchers to see if it's releasing dye.