Open to any ideas

Old 03-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Open to any ideas

I have a Singer 201 and I was using upholstery thread while sewing, I got a piece of thread stuck but can't get to it. Is there anyway to take out the bobbin area so I can get it out that way? I'm sort of upset with myself because I was trying to pull it with different implements unsuccessfully and only managed to shred the stuck thread. I know someone here has probably done this and can tell me how to repair this without damage to my machine. Also if I'm not supposed to remove the bobbin housing I would appreciate someone stopping me before I break another machine.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:54 PM

I can't help with suggestions but here is a manual for Singer 201 models. Maybe it will help in taking out the bobbin case.

https://imagespast.files.wordpress.c...ers-manual.pdf

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:02 PM

Some additional links regarding the removal of the 201 bobbin case (and for reinstalling) can be found at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RadopyThdJY
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/20...y-removal.html
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/20...g-ring-re.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 03-05-2020, 02:27 PM

There are two clips on the metal ring holding the horizontal bobbin case in place. The first couple of times you take it out will be a bit of a struggle, at least it was for me. It isn't that difficult, but requires the right grip to get the top ring back in place. I can recommend taking the bother to clean thoroghly under the bobbin case, scraping every groove and edge with a tooth pick. Oil the area where the hook and race rests before you get the parts back together. I prefer tooth picks or wooden skewer, they will not harm the metal in any way.

Poke a tooth pick or needle down the hole in the center screw under the bobbin case, give it a few drops of oil. Cleaning and oiling the bobbin case area usually makes a big difference on 201s; maintanance have often been neglected.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-05-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:02 PM

I’ve watched the video and read the blogs the problem is I can’t turn the flywheel. I guess the thread has it jammed although I can’t see it anymore. I noticed that you really don’t have to remove the screws on the feed dogs to get to the piece you have to remove but again because I can’t move it I’m stuck!
Old 03-06-2020, 06:53 AM

I'm not sure what I would do, but I think I would take off the feed dogs and position plate, even though you don't have to remove them, if you can move the hand wheel to get the springs in the position shown. It sounds like you don't want to do that. Can you see the springs that are shown? If you can see and get to the spring shown, perhaps you can release it without it being in the position shown. Another possibility would be to use sewing machine oil around the edges where the thread jam was. I've heard/read that sometimes it helps. Maybe, let it soak in, apply some more, let soak in, play with the hand wheel a bit. Oil some more, let it set, try to move hand wheel again, repeat.

Good luck.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:04 AM

Have you tried lifting the throat plate? You may find the thread actually caught in that direction and easy to remove from that direction.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:27 AM

I'm assuming it's stuck in the down position. Have you tried removing the needle to give you some room? Be sure and have a grip (some kind of tool) on it, so you can lower it enough to get it out fo the way. Basically, remove everything you can get to, to give you some working room. Be sure to take photos and keep up with the screws, so you can put it all back.
bkay
Old 03-06-2020, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Have you tried lifting the throat plate? You may find the thread actually caught in that direction and easy to remove from that direction.
I removed the throat plate, needle and the presser foot as well.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:51 PM

I am very happy to report that after many hours of reading, watching and trying everything that was suggested in the links I finally managed to find the thread that was caught under the bobbin case. All that I went through and the thread was an inch long. Thank you all for your help with this problem. This is exactly why I posted here because I knew I would get the exact help I needed.🥰