Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Indian Style Green Beans >

Indian Style Green Beans

Indian Style Green Beans

Old 03-07-2020, 08:11 AM

Default Indian Style Green Beans

When we were in India, we were frequently served green beans that were cut in 1'4 inch pieces and sauteed in oil, garlic and other Indian spices. They were so good! Even better, they were easier to eat than the long, uncut beans. Now, I make my own version of them from time to time:

First, prepare the green beans by washing and chopping them up into 1/4" pieces. Drain and set aside. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, add a minced garlic clove, a small, dried chile and some ground cumin and toast for just a few seconds over medium heat. (Don't burn the garlic.) Add the beans and sprinkle with turmeric, a pinch, or two of curry powder, a dash of coriander, a dash of salt and a tiny pinch of asafaetida, if you have it. Cook over medium heat until just tender. Remove the chile and serve. Sometimes they also add about 1/4 teaspoon of sugar at the end, but I don't care for that much.

They also make a similar dish, but add potatoes to the beans...delicious!

~ C
Old 03-07-2020, 02:36 PM

Interesting. Today I cooked frozen cut green beans according to package directions. I often do large batches of vegetables then we reheat small amounts until gone. Next time I’ll be trying this.