Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt advise needed on machine decorative stitches >

Crazy quilt advise needed on machine decorative stitches

Crazy quilt advise needed on machine decorative stitches

Old 03-12-2020, 08:09 AM

Default Crazy quilt advise needed on machine decorative stitches

I am starting a crazy quilt and wondered about using my machine's decorative stitches to give it some interest. I don't plan to quilt as you go - only quilt after the quilt has been completed--possibly just stabilizing stitches around the 6" squares. I want to use the decorative stitches as I complete the blocks. I'm nervous about my plan and looking for advice.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:37 AM

I've done decorative stitching along the seams within a crazy quilt block. If you press your seams to one side, and do the decorative stitching along that side, the three layers of fabric will give you enough stability and you shouldn't get any puckering. The decorative stitching adds a lovely touch.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I have tried something like that. I found the thread to be too thin. Consider using a thicker thread.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:32 PM

I use my Juki DX-7 for the decorative stitching, and it doesn't handle anything thicker than 30 wt very well. So I usually use Glide 40 wt for the decorative stitching and choose some of the "denser" patterns.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 AM
Gay

Have made several small quilts with one or two large ones planned. Mostly the seams have been trimmed with ribbon, braid, and have even used no. 5 pearl crochet thread in the bobbin - for this a separate bobbin case is needed so you can undo the tension screw, and turn the fabric over to work it upside-down, and tighten the top tension. Of course you can use the machines decorative stitches. I would test them out first to check which ones are best

Ducky Quilt

Last edited by Gay; 03-13-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:47 AM

I've done this quite a bit, I've currently got 100 8" blocks I need to start assembling. I used a combination of machine embroidery thread, laces and trims. I started with a foundation of muslin and started sewing the fabric on top. I did the decorate stitching as I was assembling so that starts/stops where hidden underneath overlapping fabric. I used tear away stabilizer under the more involved stitches (extra wide or ones that went back and forward longer distances)

I also used a lot of laces and trims for added interest. I was going for a "vintage wedding dress" look with the blocks.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
. I started with a foundation of muslin and started sewing the fabric on top. I did the decorate stitching as I was assembling so that starts/stops where hidden underneath overlapping fabric..
this is what I did too, and I used starched pieces to begin with which adds stability.
Do some samples so you can see if your threads lie flat and nice or if it all bunches up and won't lay smooth.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:21 AM

Thanks so much for the insight. As suggested, I'm using thicker thread and tear-away stabilizer on the back (I tried without and it didn't work). It has been a lot of fun to use the decorative stitches that normally don't get used.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I also use the stabilizer on the back so the extra bulk is eliminated. Quilting through that many layers would be really tough.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:06 PM

I did a blanket stitch that my sewing machine had on the seams of a quilt. Did not use any stabilizer, starch, or anything else. Did a great job.