Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best color for rulers? >

What is the best color for rulers?

What is the best color for rulers?

Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 AM

Default What is the best color for rulers?

I need a new ruler and I can't decide what color is easier to read. I see pink ones, but that one doesn't seem easy to read...so what do you like and think is best to read?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 AM

I have gone to using Quilter's Select. Its crisp black lines are easy to read. The increments in between the 1" marks are easy to see. The grip of the ruler is great and above all it is a smooth ruler to use with the grip side easy to determine. I highly recommend these rulers when replacing older rulers. They are on the costly side IMHO but worth the $$ especially if replacing one or two at a time.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 AM

With my vision issues I find them all pretty hard to read, but mostly I don't want a lot of little tiny dots and ticks filling up my normal 1/4" cuts. For those that do minis or precision work, great, I don't really need anything smaller than 1/8 and that is rare as it is. For years I've been doing the cut large and trim down to exact, and I use templates mostly for the trimming.

Rulers are actually designed a little differently, some have the lines meant to be the cutting line, some are "next" to the cutting line, hardly makes a difference but I prefer to use the same brand of ruler throughout my cutting. Having said that, my main 6.5x24" ruler is a different brand, with a textured surface but I just love the way it grips for the long cuts.

To help me keep on track, I use tape a lot on my rulers to mark my cutting line, I have a roll of the 1/4" quilters masking tape in my sewing kit.

When I'm cutting "olfa green" colors or have troubles reading the ruler numbers like with black fabric, I slip a piece of paper or envelope along the measuring edge, that gives me better contrast and even if I can't read the ruler on the fabric, I can still read the ruler on the paper. The color of paper I use depends on the color I'm cutting, but white junk mail envelopes have a use!
Old 03-16-2020, 07:38 AM

I have stuck with the Omnigrid. That is one of the first rulers I purchased and just recently I was given a Creative Grid ruler and I really like it. It is to make a Pineapple square block (which I am anxious to try)
Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

My favourites so far are Omnigrid. Whatever kind you decide on, make sure to use the same ruler throughout each project.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I like clear rulers with black lines. I have some longarm rulers that are blue, some pink, some hot orange, and I much prefer the clear ones. I also use the OmniGrip rulers with the neon green, or the OmniGrid with the yellow, but the main markings need to be black.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:29 AM

Quilters Select is always my first choice and creative grids are my second. I find the neon colors distracting and difficult on my eyes.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:36 AM

I use creative grids with the black and white lines. Easy to change the color for whatever fabric color is being cut. I also use the 6.5x24 inch ruler the most. It is my go to ruler. I flip the ruler depending on what I am cutting. One side has the 1/2 inch line down one side. The other side is marked in inches. You do have to be sure that you are cutting on the correct side of the ruler though.

Be mindful of the ruler and the size you are cutting. Use the same ruler throughout the cutting process to avoid discrepancies.

I also have the 6x24 inch ruler from Quilter's Select. It isn't my go to ruler. There is a new one that is 6.5x24 so I may try it.

Good luck on your ruler decision!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:58 PM

I like the clear ones with black lines. I got some of the pink ones and a yellow one too. The colored ones are too hard for my old eyes to see through.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Clear rulers with black lines. I also got the dayglo stick on tape to mark cutting lines.