Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think? >

What do you think?

What do you think?

Old 04-09-2020, 03:48 PM

this might be a crazy idea....one of our local yarn shops.....makes things like mittens, hats, scarfs,,,, and then once a year the "yarn" a neighborhood...mean they simple hang the knitted goods on fences, posts, lamp posts, etc....with a little note attached. stating something like...."I am not lost, if you need a hat, mittens, scarf, or whatever it is....take me!" I know a quilt is a lot of work...but ...maybe?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:58 PM

I donate a lot to Project Linus and our local hospice. They are both very appreciative.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:45 PM

One of our hospitals has a pastoral program where all hospice patients are given quilts (unless they don't want one). After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. They go through about 40 a month. You should read the thank-you cards from the families, they are so incredibly thankful for the quilts.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:46 PM

Maybe you could stitch up something similar, bags, organizers, pillows. I enjoy doing that.

Also, I am surprised that no one needs donations of quilts. Where I live the need for charity quilts greatly surpasses the supply, and grows every year. Hospitals, fire departments, family services, women's shelters etc where I live can always, unfortunately, use more. Possibly there is a church or government agency that could point you in the right direction. It's wonderful that you are so generous with your time and materials and hard working.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:53 AM

Try a Veterans Home, they do not have to be quilts of valor nor do they need to be red, white and blue.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:43 PM

Check with your local furniture store. We live where every Christmas a local store donates beds and mattresses to families in need. They provide new sets of sheets and blankets, and quilts if they have them. Every year when I hear their stories I am moved to tears by the gratitude of the recipients. Maybe there is such a program near where you live. My father spent his final weeks in the hospice unit at the local veteran's hospital, and on his arrival he was given a quilt to keep him warm. He always said that it was like getting a hug from a stranger. I can't think of any better way to honor those that have served our country.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:07 PM
mim

Try the habitat for humanity group. Our guild makes a quilt for each member when they move in. They have put a lot of time into their own house and houses for others -- They have earned their new home,