Junk it or not?

Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 PM

Default Junk it or not?

Hello, I’m new here. Ive had a Singer Athena 2000 since the 1970’s and its the only machine I’ve used. It’s great but lately I’ve had a terrible time with the bobbin thread. It makes nests under the fabric. Adjusting the tension doesn’t seem to help. It does it when I’m sewing over pleats or anything thick. Sometimes I can hear the bobbin clicking, and when I do, I know there’s going to be a mess under the fabric. I’m wondering if I should just get a new machine. The last time I brought it in for a tune up, it cost $120 and it performed no different. I can get a Singer Heavy Duty machine for about $160. What would you do?

Last edited by Doggymom39; 04-05-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM

At this point in time the machine could have a problem with the electronics or the plastic gears may begin to crumble. Parts may or may not be still available.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Hello Doggymom39, welcome to the Quiltingboard ! I don't post very often, but I check in everyday. I'm not familiar with the Athena 2000, but I had a very short time trying out a Singer Heavy Duty. I'm not a "quilter" but I sew everyday and my projects are usually bags with thicker, multi-layers and other large projects. Now it is of course face masks.

In December I was frustrated with the machine I had. It is a good machine but not designed for sewing the things I was sewing. I still used it for eight years, before selling it at the beginning of last month.

I tried the Singer Heavy-Duty because the name alone sounded like it was exactly what I wanted and needed. I was not happy with it. It was incredibly loud, the foot controller only had high speed (could have been a one-time lemon), and the throat was very small. I got it at Walmart, so I was able to return it with no trouble.

Just my two cents, but I just wanted to tell you my experience with it.

Good luck and welcome to the Board.

Carol

Old 04-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Welcome to QB Doggymama. Personally, I wouldn't buy a contemporary Singer. If you want to replace your machine there are a lot of brands out there that are very good. IMO Singer is no longer one of them. I have a Juki 2200 QVP Mini that I bought to do FMQ, but I have found that it's a good machine for sewing on heavy layers of fabric. You might want to try out some machines and see what you like.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 PM

I have to agree with cash's mom, I wouldn't buy a Singer, but would definitely buy a vintage Singer if it was a model I wanted.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 PM

The old Kenmores are great vintage machines that can sew through tough jobs. I can usually find them at the thrift stores for $25 or less. You want the ones that are front or side loading bobbins, not the drop-in ones. And you want one with built-in stitches, not with cams that you load into a compartment on top. If you can find one with a low-shank presser foot, they have more options for different feet than the super-high shank machines.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doggymom39 View Post
Hello, I’m new here. Ive had a Singer Athena 2000 since the 1970’s and its the only machine I’ve used. It’s great but lately I’ve had a terrible time with the bobbin thread. It makes nests under the fabric. Adjusting the tension doesn’t seem to help. It does it when I’m sewing over pleats or anything thick. Sometimes I can hear the bobbin clicking, and when I do, I know there’s going to be a mess under the fabric. I’m wondering if I should just get a new machine. The last time I brought it in for a tune up, it cost $120 and it performed no different. I can get a Singer Heavy Duty machine for about $160. What would you do?
maybe the bobbin case is worn out.
if everything else about the machine still keeps you happy, it would be worth a try replacing it before buying a whole new machine.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:35 AM

Hi Doggymom, My GF had an Athena 200o. If you haven't lubed it this would be a good time to do it. Anyplace that has steel touching steel can use lube. even if the books say it isn't needed. hogwash.. After messing with it for a few years she gave up on it though. It took a lot of attention.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:11 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for the responses. I will try to lubricate it and see if that helps.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! I am not sure about your machine. Machines of that era frequently have either electronic problems or problems with the plastic parts. This can be very frustrating since for many machines the parts are no longer available. I will late a good vintage metal machine any day of the week. I see many different models in thrift shops from time to time. It may be a good idea for you since you hare sewing heavier fabrics right now or going through more layers than usual. I don't' know anything about the Singer heavy duty machine. One thing I do know is that there are many helpful folks here to help you test and try out different machine. Again welcome ot the QB. I hope you get a new machine or get this fixed or even retire it soon.