1904 Standard rotary machine

Old 02-02-2020, 10:14 AM

Default 1904 Standard rotary machine

I have some how lost the bobbin holder to this machine. It was in it when I bought it but I guess moving out of crowded store into my truck it fell out.
I found one on eBay but lost it by 50cent so sick. I haven't been able toc across anymore. Does anyone know if there is a bobbin holder from another antique machine that I might be able to use.
I have found a copy of the original Manuel and attachments to it. But no bobbin holder.
I am in the process of cleaning her up and want to be able to use it asap. It's going to take a while to get all the things that are suppose to be silver cleaned as they are a rusty black as of now.
Some pieces cleaned easily but some not so easy.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, sheree
Old 02-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan It would be helpful to know a bit more about your machine. Is this a Singer or other make of machine I believe we may be able to help knowing what make of machine it is. Hopefully someone here will have an answer for you real quickly.

Last edited by juliasb; 02-02-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:26 PM

Default 1904 standard

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan It would be helpful to know a bit more about your machine. Is this a Singer or other make of machine I believe we may be able to help knowing what make of machine it is. Hopefully someone here will have an answer for you real quickly.
I'm sorry it is a 1904 Standard rotary treadle. From Cleveland Ohio. USA. Thanky for the welcome.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:39 PM

We like pictures especially of sewing machines and attachments. I have lost pieces from the store to home.

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking there are similar bobbin cases, however, I think that one is unique.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Bobbin holder

Can anyone who ones a 1904 Standard husky treadle please posta picture of what the bobbin holder looks like. I have ordered several that say that's what they are for but the don't fit and are too small and won't center. Mine has a tube coming out that goes through bobbin and holder. But no luck finding a true one. I sure would appreciate it and also a pic of a bobbin for this machine. Thank you and please stay safe. Sheree

Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 PM

You have me a bit confused. When you say husky are you abbreviating Husqvarna?

This thread maybe be closer to what you are after and there is a link to a nice Standard treadle pic. Old thread though.

1904 Standard Rotary Treadle Sewing Machine

Welcome aboard.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Bobbin holder no

Guess I mean regular standard I have seen where they are called slim line but mine looks fatter.. thank you
Old 04-10-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Rotary or not

Hello,
aI have another question how can you tell if your Standard is a rotary or not. This is my first treadle so I'm still learning. It doesn't say it anywhere it has the vine decal and I was able to date it to 1904 by the serial number I found a chart somewhere. But it don't know what. Rotary treadle means. All I need to find is a bobbin holder and bobbins and I believe she will work. I remember seeing handkerchiefs on my grandmother's singer treadle . So I'm really looking forward to using it. Thank you, Sheree
Old 04-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Sheree, you are correct in that Standard offered a slim and a stout model. From what I have seen, these are rotary models, the bobbin, in the modern style, rotates in the bobbin case (holder). The bobbin is shaped like a donut, short and with the hole in the center. The single plate covering the bobbin slides (or is hinged) to give access to remove and install the bobbin.

Another major type of treadle is a vibrating shuttle. The bobbin is placed in a shuttle, which is placed in a shuttle carrier. This bobbin is shaped like a long, skinny, mini spool of thread. Hence the name, long bobbin. The giveaway on this type of mechanism is that there are two slide plates, long and narrow, one slides off to the back, the other to the front.

I'm no expert on Standards, and it could be that they manufactured both kinds.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:27 PM

vibrating shuttle and bobbins
Attached Thumbnails shuttles-bobbins-slides.jpg