Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When Things Are going Too Well.... >

When Things Are going Too Well....

When Things Are going Too Well....

Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM

If you could put another couple pleats in, then they could become a "design feature".

Jim

Last edited by Flyboy Jim; 04-20-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-20-2020, 09:16 PM

I had a small pleat on the last one I did it was small but about 12 inches. The backing was grey so I pressed the pleat down and sewed it with grey thread and no one will ever know. I hope!
Old 04-21-2020, 01:59 AM

It happened to me last Friday--I spent most of Saturday picking the stitches out. It makes you more careful next time (for a while!)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:47 AM

Such a bummer...I’m sorry about all the ripping you had to do. Think of the bright side, you’ll get really darn good at doing feathers.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:00 AM

That's when you realize that you do know a foreign language.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:58 AM

I take heart in the fact that you folks who are really talented with machine quilting find yourself having to rip stitches from time to time. Gives me hope and I feel your pain.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:41 AM

Been there done that! Between that and my perfectionist tendencies ( Not that my work is perfect), I think I've done more "unquilting" than quilting!
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 AM

That is absolutely heartbreaking! One positive thing will come from this. You will be so vigilant that this problem won't happen again. And, your feathers are absolutely gorgeous. Such a shame to have to do it over. Another good thing, is that you already have a wonderful pattern established and can just follow the needle holes. As quilters we know the pain of ripping, although it is such a normal process for me, that I just do it and don't worry about it any more.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Bummer....after quilting 50 some quilts on my Lucey....and 20-30 on my previous mid-arm....I finally oopsed ….and stitch a big pleat in the backing discovered when I just had a half of a pass left...the pleat of course was in the middle...so, not having the fortitude you have to rip out all the quilting...which I could have had to do as Lucey has a 26 inch neck....I declared this quilt...a "cabin quilt" and thus will use it there, pleat in the backing and all....the front looks good!
I have a couple of quilts like that. A boo boo on the back but the front is fine. I am not as picky about some mistakes as others. I know some quilters where their quilts have to be perfect. If I had to make mine perfect I would never get one finished LOL
Old 04-21-2020, 07:21 AM

Oh no-so sorry to see your dilemma. I have been there so I really feel for you but like you said---no place to go! Enjoy your baking show. Stay healthy and safe