Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What do you do with leftovers? >

What do you do with leftovers?

What do you do with leftovers?

Old 12-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Mkotch, that is a lovely quilt! And Iceblossom, once again you've made me feel better. Knowing it took you two months after quilt fatigue to clean up the sewing room made me feel better about taking 7 months to finish the last quilt. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2020, 06:22 AM

Orphan blocks make great potholders or heat pads for setting hot things out for a buffet. I always put 2 layers of batting and a heat resistance fabric in them.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
Orphan blocks make great potholders or heat pads for setting hot things out for a buffet. I always put 2 layers of batting and a heat resistance fabric in them.
Our quilters at church get donations & sometimes we find orphan blocks so this is what we do with them. Given to food pantry.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:45 AM

MKotch, that is stunning what you made with the left overs.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:03 PM

Lately, I have been repurposing some of my orphans into placemats. Our LQS collects them and donates to Meals on Wheels. I like to think of MOW recipients getting a cheerful placemat with their meals. Perhaps you can start such a program in your area?
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM

Nan, I've done this too. In fact I sent 4 bags to my daughter for her GG and 2 nieces. I was worried they would be too big for the little girls but Amy said they loved them. Perfect for sleep overs. I have several more that I got at quilt shows...when
we cold go. Used my orphans for pockets inside and out.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I keep all my orphan blocks and units in a plastic tub labeled as Orphan blocks. When the box is full I pull the blocks out and start designing on my design wall. Adding in strips as needed to fill areas as needed. Nothing goes together color wise but it all works together if not to make a beautiful quilt, then to make a utilitarian one. I then sandwich, quilt and donate it. My son snagged one as he thought it reminded him of me - scrappy, I guess:-)
Great idea!
Old 03-08-2021, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Since we must take our own bags to the stores now, I dress up the bags that have commercial writing on them. I've used many orphan blocks by sewing them over the tote logo... folks even ask where I got the bag LOL
this is a great idea! Thank you....
Old 03-08-2021, 04:38 AM

And another idea, I don't do this, but I have read on here also, for those smaller scraps, toss them in a plastic bin or basket once you have enough, pile them on your cutting mat and cut randomly to very small pieces to use as filling in donation dog/cat beds. I myself thought that was brillant.

Quiltahmama ~That is what i am currently doing. I got a new puppy and the breeder gramma makes a pillow for each puppy with her scraps and I liked the idea. So I am chopping up mine and gathering them for that reason...
Old 03-08-2021, 04:55 AM

I also used orphan blocks to make bowl cozies and hot pads.