Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cordless iron recommendation >

Cordless iron recommendation

Cordless iron recommendation

Old 04-25-2020, 04:27 AM

Default Cordless iron recommendation

Good Morning!!!

I love this board!! I just read a post about using glue so I went to YouTube and watched a clip on glue basting, which I知 definitely going to try!!

Anyway- I watched her press down the seams with ease using her cordless iron and I realized when I use my iron, the cord is way too short because of where the outlet is. I have to twist my wrist and turn the iron and have become somewhat of a contortionist. I know, very awkward... but usually don稚 spend a long time ironing so I just endure...

Anyone have any suggestions for a cordless iron? It値l make ironing so much more enjoyable for me.

Thanks all
Old 04-25-2020, 04:33 AM

Anxious to hear what others have to say. My iron with auto shut off, shuts off every couple minutes!!! Grrrr
Old 04-25-2020, 04:46 AM

I don't have a recommendation but suggest you add a power strip to the iron set-up. I put the power strip on the back edge of the iron station. It lights up so I know when the iron is on/off. The last thing I do before bedtime is peek into the room and check that the light is off.

If the station is against a wall, you can add hooks there to hang the extra length of the cord for the iron.

Maggie, Check your iron. There may be a button to shut-off the auto shut-off feature.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Mazo- I agree about glue basting. It's been a game changer for me.

I've heard about the Panasonic 360- I don't have one though. But I've heard a lot of good things.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:32 AM

The only experience I have with a cordless is at the shop where we had some classes. They had a cordless, forget the brand, but I thought it didn't get hot enough to give a good flat seam. I have a Rowenta Steam Generator iron like Donna Jordan's, and I just love it, for the heat and steam, and speed of pressing. Not cordless, but I don't mind giving up that to get a good flat seam.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:20 AM

I like a hot iron, I want steam, and I hate ones that time out on me. I've had them beep off while I'm carefully pressing a long seam...

I drop my irons a lot and they don't last long, I buy the cheapest one with the extra long cord (if the cheapest one is $15, this is $18-20). They last about 5 years for me. I've tried more expensive -- they usually only last 2 years

If you like your iron, an extension cord is all you need!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

My cordless is a great iron. But it does not stay on long enough for pressing yardage or lots of blocks... I use my corded iron for that.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:02 PM

I have a Panasonic Freestyle 360 & really like it. Yes it does the auto shut off but never when I'm pressing. I can iron yardage without a problem. It just goes back in the cradle when I reposition the fabric. I like it enough that when Stitchin Heaven had a sale on them I purchased another at 40-45% off.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:57 AM

I don't have a cordless iron. And, yes, the cords on most are too short for where most of us do our major pressing. I just plug mine into a long, heavy-duty extension cord. I also admit I am pretty fanatical about unplugging my iron any time I leave the room..have been this way for decades. Have always had pets and don't want to take the chance that they might knock the iron off the table and have it accidentally turn on.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:07 AM

So simple! An extension cord! I have my steam iron plugged into a power strip on the floor. I use my toe to turn the strip on and off. Going to search for extension cord...