Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt dies dull >

Accuquilt dies dull

Accuquilt dies dull

Old 04-27-2020, 07:34 AM

Default Accuquilt dies dull

Has anyone had their dies become dull? I have the small tumbler die that is barely used and it appears to be dull as it does not cut. I have to cut with scissors.
Are they able to be sharpened? Any suggestions?
Kirsten
Old 04-27-2020, 09:14 AM

I have a small tumbler die that left a few threads behind. It was too late to exchange for a new one. A good suggestion is to check all new purchases.

I don't know if they can be sharpened though.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM

PS: Be sure to store them upright. You don't want to stack them on top of each other. I store long dies in a clothes hamper with a lid.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 AM

I've known two other quilters with this issue, they contacted Accuquilt and the dies were replaced. Maybe check with Accuquilt.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I had one that I thought was dull. I used a new mat and it cut fine. It doesn't take long for the mats to get scored and cause a lot of problems. I change mats as often as I do rotary blades.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've known two other quilters with this issue, they contacted Accuquilt and the dies were replaced. Maybe check with Accuquilt.

Accuquilt is a good company and I had one die I had to return and they were great. Just one good reason to buy from them. They will not warranty dies purchased off Amazon or other sites.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:24 PM

Besides using a new mat, is your fabric ironed & starched? They recommend you do both and check to make sure the fabric is on the right way. They have a quick video on how to use a die. I thought one of my dies was bad and then went thru all the steps and it seems it works best when there is more than one layer of fabric.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I buy dies from Amazon and QIAD. Accuquilt has always honored the warranty. It would be silly of them not as thousands of their name dies are being bought and if bad dies their name and customer service is attached. All the dies I buy on Amazon, Accuquilt is the seller.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I buy dies from Amazon and QIAD. Accuquilt has always honored the warranty. It would be silly of them not as thousands of their name dies are being bought and if bad dies their name and customer service is attached. All the dies I buy on Amazon, Accuquilt is the seller.
I tried to send back a die I bought off Amazon and it was rejected because they had no purchase record of it with Accuquilt.. You can register all your dies so that you don't make the mistake of purchasing the same die twice. I did manage to send it back to Amazon. I was hoping I could make an even exchange for a die I didn't have. No go. I love working with Accuquilt they are a great company but I did understand the company policy. Now I buy all my dies and mats from Accuquilt.